Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MAPM
Frequent Visitor

Multiple Contains Filters using Visual Filters

I'm currently building a report based on a Cube built by a different team. This means I cannot create custom columns or add additional datasets. I am limited to using Measures, Bookmarks, and Visual-Page-Report level filters.

I have the need to filter on multiple "contains" strings for 1 column. Similar to this question:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-can-I-put-multiple-quot-Contain-quot-filter-on-one-colu...

Is there any way to do this without creating custom calculated columns?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tamerj1
Super User
Super User

Hi @MAPM 
Please refer to sample file with the proposed solution https://www.dropbox.com/t/Nd2LhJFlC0H1ZlwJ

This requires creating a filter table with the desired strings. Can be created with code if you give more details. For now I created with hard code.

1.png

Then create the filter measure, place it in the filter pane, select "Is not blank" and apply the filter.

7.png1.png6.png

FilterMeasure = 
IF (
    COUNTROWS ( ALL ( FilterTable[Selection] ) ) <> COUNTROWS ( ALLSELECTED ( FilterTable[Selection] ) ),
    COUNTROWS (
        FILTER (
            VALUES ( FilterTable[Selection] ),
            CONTAINSSTRING ( 
                SELECTEDVALUE ( DimID[Name] ),
                FilterTable[Selection]
            )
        )
    ),
)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
tamerj1
Super User
Super User

Hi @MAPM 
Please refer to sample file with the proposed solution https://www.dropbox.com/t/Nd2LhJFlC0H1ZlwJ

This requires creating a filter table with the desired strings. Can be created with code if you give more details. For now I created with hard code.

1.png

Then create the filter measure, place it in the filter pane, select "Is not blank" and apply the filter.

7.png1.png6.png

FilterMeasure = 
IF (
    COUNTROWS ( ALL ( FilterTable[Selection] ) ) <> COUNTROWS ( ALLSELECTED ( FilterTable[Selection] ) ),
    COUNTROWS (
        FILTER (
            VALUES ( FilterTable[Selection] ),
            CONTAINSSTRING ( 
                SELECTEDVALUE ( DimID[Name] ),
                FilterTable[Selection]
            )
        )
    ),
)

MAPM
Frequent Visitor

To add some additional context. The closest I've gotten to what I need is by creating a measure like this:

ContainsRelevantStrings = 

CALCULATE (
    IF(COUNTROWS ( t1 )>0,1,0),
    FILTER (
        t1 ,
        CONTAINSSTRING ( t1[Name], "ABC" ) = TRUE ()
            || CONTAINSSTRING ( t1[Name], "fffa" ) = TRUE ()
            || CONTAINSSTRING ( t1[Name], "asdf" ) = TRUE ()
    )
)

Putting that measure as a Visual Filter on a slicer with the DimensionTable[Name] and setting that Measure Visual Filter to = 1. 

This gives me a slicer with all the relevant Dimension Names. The problem is that if I click "Select All" on that Slicer it still selects ALL the Dimension[Name] rows.

This seems to be an issue other people are running into too:

tamerj1
Super User
Super User

Hi @MAPM 
Yes possible. Would you please provide some sample data along with the expected result?

MAPM
Frequent Visitor

It's very similar to the question I linked to, but to provide an example.

I have a dimension table with 1000s of rows, for example:

IdName
1ABCZZZZ
2ABCZZZX
3ABCZZZY
4AAAZZZZ
5AAAZZZY
6AAAZZZX
7AAAZZZC
8asdf
9assdf
10fffaaf
11fffffff

This Dimension table links to several metric tables.

I am trying to filter the full report based on filtering this dimension "Name" column, using a contains of several strings (give or take 12 strings). 

To simplify & using the example above. Imagine I'd like to filter the Dimension table for any string that contains:
"ABC", "fffa", "asdf"

I would expect the corresponding Dimension table to then filter to:

IdName
1ABCZZZZ
2ABCZZZX
3ABCZZZY
8asdf
10fffaaf

Which would in turn filter my metric tables.

Normally I'd create a Calculated column that would help me achieve this, but that's not an option for my current setup (because I'm reporting using a Cube that is owned and maintained by another team). 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.