Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Blue2k
Regular Visitor

Mobile Data Usage

Hi all!

I am trying to use Power Bi to analyze mobile data month to month.

I was wondering if there is a way to see the changes each month for users. Seeing ones that have significant changes.

Also I am trying to see the top 30 users each month and determining terminated accounts.

Many thanks!

10 REPLIES 10
Blue2k
Regular Visitor

I am still not able to flag the ones that are significantly different from the others.

Blue2k
Regular Visitor

Still have not figured out a way to see an outlier for data usage?

Dhacd
Resolver III
Resolver III

Please share a sample data set.

UsernameData usage (GBs)Month
csherborn036Jan
llorenzetti184Jan
thuddlestone286Jan
tleseka56Jan
csherborn080Feb
llorenzetti172Feb
thuddlestone263Feb
tleseka69Feb
csherborn092Apr
llorenzetti183Apr
thuddlestone274Apr
tleseka66Apr

Here is an example of my data set. I want to be able to see trends if that is possible on Power Bi.

Seeing significant changes from month to month.

Based on my understanding I have created a calculated column that I think works for this case, 
What this measure will be doing is highlighting the cells which have an increase in data consumption greater that a particular value that we can set inside the calculated column.

The measure and the working screenshot are attached below.

Conditonal Formatting = 

Var lim = 10
Var usage = sum('Table'[Data usage (GBs)])-CALCULATE(sum('Table'[Data usage (GBs)]),filter('Table',earlier('Table'[Month])< max('Table'[Month])))

return if(usage>lim,"Red","Green")

Dhacd_1-1657599227310.png

Few things to note:

• Use the measure in the conditional formatting section of the table and select field formatting instead of gradient formatting.
  • Make sure the month column's data type is the date and data usage is in the whole numbers.
  • Use any color you want in the if condition(Hex codes will also work).
  • Update the limit variable as you desire
  • Also, note that if there are no values for a user in the last month the last data usage available for that user will be selected here. In this case, there are data for the month of March so April will be compared with Feb, Let me know if you need to change this logic and considered the march data as 0 and calculate the colors.

If you found this works as a solution for you please mark it as a solution.

Thanks and Regards,
Atma.

Update: Read wherever I have mentioned "measure" as "calculated column".

So I am confused on why those are read. 

i am trying to see significant changes from month to month.

I believe you want to find out the difference in usage between the current month and the previous month. In that case, use the below code as a calculated column, It might be working for you.

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks and regards,
Atma.

When I try to make the new column and put in what is above. It gives me a token Eof expected after the 10.

I got it to work. But I do not get how the red green works because it just selects certain ones.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.