Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dancarr22
Helper V
Helper V

Matrix - Display Values above Columns

Hello,

We have a basic matrix with columns, rows and values.  We would like the values to appear ABOVE the columns.  Right now it only displays the opposite -- values BELOW the columns.  How can this be fixed?  This works very easily in Tableau and Excel Pivot Tables.

Please see screenshots below of incorrect version (Power BI) and correct version (Tableau).

Thanks,

DanIncorrect - Columns on top, values belowIncorrect - Columns on top, values belowCorrect - Values on top, columns belowCorrect - Values on top, columns below

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @dancarr22,

For Power BI Matrix visual, the value level shows below the column level. Based on your screenshot, I create the similar structure data sample as follows.

1.PNG

Then I create Matix visual like you.

2.PNG

If you want to display data like the format in Tableau, you need to unpivot Value and SpreadCost columns. Please right click your table->Query Editor->select both  Value and SpreadCost columns->Unpivot columns(see the button highlighted in yellow background), click apply, you will get the data shown in screenshot.

3.png2.PNG

Then select the Ticker as Row level, the Attribute and MarkerTicker as column level, the Value.1 as Value level, you will get expected result.

5.PNG
Best Regards,
Angelia

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
Fernando_godoy

I am facing the same problem, someone know any 'Custom Visual' that resolve this problem? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can we just agree that Power BI lacks a basic funtionality here? 🙂

OP requested a basic thing:

Put a dimension into the columns area of a matrix visual like the year:

2018 - 2019 - 2020

Then add two measures, the following happens:

2018                    2019                    2020

Meas1 Meas2      Meas1 Meas2      Meas1 Meas2

And what OP wanted, was this:

Meas1                      Meas2

2018 2019 2020         2018 2019 2020

This can be achieved in a Pivot table in Excel in 2 seconds. No change of the raw data required.

In Power BI, no chance.

The only thing that comes close:

Go to the format pane of the matrix visual and under VALUES select "Show On Rows".
Not exactly the wanted result, but close enough most time.

far
Frequent Visitor

Still 2023, and no simple solution given.

Hi @far ,

Currently there is another solution that is the creation of a Field parameter

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/power-bi-field-parameters

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

far
Frequent Visitor

Hi MFelix,

Im aware of field parameters already. Can you explain how should these be used for this solution?

Thanks!

Hi @Anonymous ,

Depending on the result you need currrently there are several option that you don't need to change the raw data, you may need to create calculation groups for example, or an additional table with your hierarchy.

It's not has direct has in Excel agree with you but this has to do with the way the model works and the engine, altough some things are similar to Excel, Power BI is not to do the same things has in Excel so the functionalities may vary.

Regards

Miguel Félix

v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @dancarr22,

For Power BI Matrix visual, the value level shows below the column level. Based on your screenshot, I create the similar structure data sample as follows.

1.PNG

Then I create Matix visual like you.

2.PNG

If you want to display data like the format in Tableau, you need to unpivot Value and SpreadCost columns. Please right click your table->Query Editor->select both  Value and SpreadCost columns->Unpivot columns(see the button highlighted in yellow background), click apply, you will get the data shown in screenshot.

3.png2.PNG

Then select the Ticker as Row level, the Attribute and MarkerTicker as column level, the Value.1 as Value level, you will get expected result.

5.PNG
Best Regards,
Angelia

I have values as Measures , how Can I do Unpivot.....

this is not a practical solution when the table to be unpivoted has 30 fields.

There needs to be a simple way to do this in power bi like there is in excel.

Hi @apatnola ,

This answer is from 3 years ago, since then the tool has evolve significantly depending on what you are looking for there are other options. Currently there are calculated groups, options to unpivot only, selected columns or the use of a disconnected table.

What is the result you want to achieve and how is your data is setup?

You compare Power BI with Excel but in both cases if you have the incorrect data format the results will not be achived corretly. Altough the tools look similar they are in fact very different because they are used for different purposes.

Can you share a mockup of your data and expected result?

Regards

Miguel Félix

I am trying to get from 

apatnola_0-1605644872026.png

to

apatnola_1-1605644914540.png

Here are the specific fields I have picked so far.

apatnola_2-1605644987347.png

In excel's pivot table fields, you just switch the values and the column headers, that's it. Hopefully, there is a power bi solution short of creating individual measures for each column/value combination that needs to be maintained over time.

Hi,

See if my solutoin here helps - Rearrange a multi heading dataset into a single heading one which is Pivot ready.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

Hi @apatnola 

Be aware that Power BI works in tabular models so it's not exactly the same has in excel, and the concept diverge.

In this case where you have the information in this setup you need to unpivot your data, however with the power query working behind the scenes all the heavy work will be done by the application you only need to setup once, and every time it refreshes they query is run.

Is the information of your data in the format you present or is it just the final result that you are already presenting?

If you have the data in the format you are presenting and the data tends to grow you will need to pick the first 3 columns on your data (District, Showroom and year) and unpivot the other columns this is an option within power bi.

If the information is in the table format like this:

District -Showroom - Year - Retail - Pieces

All you need to do is selected the Retail and Pieces and simply use the new columns (attribute and values) on your visualizations, that will allow additional features.

I understand the "need" to do comparisions and altough I work with Power BI from the beginning I still get frustated with some things, but in the end we are talking about different tools that work in different ways and with different purposes.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Thank you Miguel. This is super helpful. I have 15 requested items to visualize. Let me work through the others as there may be other datapoints that i will need to pivot on.

The table the information is coming from is a very detailed table (barcode level) with 30 fields.

Also, there is no "year" in the detailed table exactly. Just a posted date joined to my calendar table. Will it work if i pivot on District - Showroom - Posted Date?

Andre

Hi @apatnola ,

You can do it on any columns, I have refered year because that was the value you present on the image.

In this case be aware that the columns you use for the relationship with the other tables don't unpivot them.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Hi there,

As far as I can tell I have my data set up the exact say way as above and when I add two attributes to the "columns" in my matrix, it will only display the one that is on top in the Visualization paneCapture1.JPGCapture.JPG

Thanks Angelia!

MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @dancarr22,

I believe that your question is related with the way you have your data setup, you have multiple measure and adding them to your values area, is your data in the Values area columns or calculated measures?

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Hello,

Thanks for your response.

The data in the values area are numerical data fields which need to be aggregated for the given groups.  They are not measures.

Need these values to appear ABOVE the columns not below them.

Please let me know if you require additional info.

Thanks for your help with this.

Thanks,

Dan

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.