Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

danderson26
Frequent Visitor

Many to Many Relationship In Table Visual

Hello,

I'm running into an issue with a report where I have a many-many relationship between 2 tables where I want to be able to view data from both tables in the same table visual. When I add these fields to a table visual, the only way for the visual to display without an error is to include a field that's summarized (sum, count, etc). I cannot attach a file due to my company's file sharing policy, but I've adapted this file from this post by updating the top visual as described in their post: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Bridge-table-not-working/m-p/2327337/highlight/true#M840558

This is the way the relationships are set up:

danderson26_0-1645505478429.png

This table in the top right is the same as the table in the top left, just with the Value field set to not be summarized:

danderson26_1-1645505547209.png

Is this the expected behavior of this visual? If not, do you have any recommendations on how to make this work?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@danderson26 , If you want to take un summarized column both from contracten and equipment , then it is not possible.

From Many side tables (with one table used in visual) , only one can have unsummarized columsn

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@danderson26 , If you want to take un summarized column both from contracten and equipment , then it is not possible.

From Many side tables (with one table used in visual) , only one can have unsummarized columsn

Thanks Amit.

Is there a technical reason why this isn't possible (why Power BI doesn't allow this)? I've been able to show unsummarized columns in a table (like the "Key" column in Contracten) when I have the relationships configured with the cross filters set to "both", however that only works when at least one field in the table is summarized, and not necessarily from the table with the unsummarized field.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.