Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jakeudy
Helper I
Helper I

Inventory forecasting

Hi everyone,

I am having problems creating a visual to represent an inventory forecast. What I want to see on the visual is a line representing safety stock, maximum, and stock level. I have created a measure called "Stock" based on help from this post: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Cumulative-inventory-Forecast/m-p/1466190#M612159

and have posted the code below:

Stock =
VAR _CHANGE =
SUMX (
FILTER (
ALL ( 'Forecast Table' ),
'Forecast Table'[Date].[Date] <= MAX ( 'Forecast Table'[Date].[Date] )
&& 'Forecast Table'[Material] = MAX ( 'Forecast Table'[Material] )
&& 'Forecast Table'[Site] = MAX ( 'Forecast Table'[Site] )
),
'Forecast Table'[Quantity]
)
VAR _Total =
SUMX (
FILTER (
'On Hand Table',
'On Hand Table'[Material] = MAX ( 'Forecast Table'[Material] )
&& 'On Hand Table'[INVENTORYSITEID] = MAX ( 'Forecast Table'[Site] )
),
'On Hand Table'[Physical Inventory]
)
RETURN
_CHANGE + _Total

The problem with this code is that I want it to calculate the stock based on the previous day's calculation. This measure does not calculate stock on a daily basis, it only calculates on days where the stock is changing. Right now, my visual looks like this:
line graph.PNG

The desired outcome is to have the "Stock" line remain flat until a change in stock level happens. So rather than having the line gradually decreasing from jan-june 2021, the line should stay flat until june when a sale is forecasted to occur. On January 26, 2021, the value for stock is 3,050 and there are no other values for stock showing up until june 1, 2021 when it drops to 

1208. I want to re-code the measure so that ever day between jan. 26 and june 1, the stock shows as 3,050. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jakeudy ,

Try to create a Date dimension table and create relationships between your 'Forecast Table' and the Date table. Then, change your measure like below and replace the date column from 'Forecast Table' with the date column from Date table in your visualizations.

Stock =
VAR _CHANGE =
    SUMX (
        FILTER (
            'Forecast Table'[Date] <= MAX ( 'Date'[Date] ) ----------------------------changed
        ),
    )
VAR _Total =
    SUMX (
        FILTER (
            'On Hand Table',
        ),
    )
RETURN
    _CHANGE + _Total

If this method doesn't work, please share me some sample data, not real data, for test.

Best regards

Icey

If this post helps, then consider Accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jakeudy ,

Try to create a Date dimension table and create relationships between your 'Forecast Table' and the Date table. Then, change your measure like below and replace the date column from 'Forecast Table' with the date column from Date table in your visualizations.

Stock =
VAR _CHANGE =
    SUMX (
        FILTER (
            'Forecast Table'[Date] <= MAX ( 'Date'[Date] ) ----------------------------changed
        ),
    )
VAR _Total =
    SUMX (
        FILTER (
            'On Hand Table',
        ),
    )
RETURN
    _CHANGE + _Total

If this method doesn't work, please share me some sample data, not real data, for test.

Best regards

Icey

If this post helps, then consider Accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.