Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TomsNg
Helper I
Helper I

How to show all data point in Y axis of a scatter chart in Power BI Desktop

Hi Experts,

We have a scatter chart for showing the publication count by years. It is found that when 5 consecutive years is chosen, all the years are shown in the Y axis properly, however, once 6 consecutive years is chosen, only the even years are shown in the Y axis. Is it possible to show all the years in Y axis no matter it is 5 or 6 consecutive years?

Thanks

Toms

5n6YearSelection.jpg

3 REPLIES 3
mahenkj2
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @TomsNg 

Scatter chart is used to show relation between two numerical values. If you convert one of the axis to categorical, that axis acts like a text axis and then sctatter chart can not be used.

I would recommend to go for a 'Dot plot charts'.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/visuals/power-bi-visualization-scatter?tabs=powerbi-deskt...

Hope it helps.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@TomsNg , Make the Axis type Categorical 

Axis_type.png

Hello amitchandak,

Thanks for your reply, however, it doesn't work. An error of "If your x-axis is categorical, choose a summarization for the x- or y-axis." is returned.

For your information, in our scatter chart, the Y-axis is pointing to a column named 'Publication Year' and 'Don't summarize' is chosen, the X-axis is pointing to an numeric column named 'pub_count' and 'Don't summarize' is also chosen. We just want to show every count of publication by publication year. The only problem now is it failed to show all publication years in the Y axis.

Thanks

Toms

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.