Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

VinhTon
Helper I
Helper I

How to get trend lines in a date hiearchy?

Edit--because trend lines are only offered with continuous x-axis and continuous are only offered with date fields, how do I get a trend line with a date hiearchy? For example how do I show trend line for year month. See the following image where I no longer have the trend line option when I go from Date to Year Month

trendLine_dateHiearchy.jpg

The trend line option is not showing under the add more analytics option in the Visualization pane.

I'm using dates from a Date table.

I tried following this tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-nEn8aolQ8

In the clustered column chart, there is no option to change from categorical to continuous in the format's x-axis. see image below.

In the line chart, there is the continuous option but it stays as categorical when I click on it. see image further below

trendLine_bar.jpg

trendLine_line.jpg

9 REPLIES 9
charryLA47

I had this problem too and I've seen many people asking it in different forums without getting great answers. I'm going to describe here of how I solved it, in case others come looking for the answer:

First, I'll summarize the problem. In order to add a trendline to a visualization, the x-axis needs to have the type set to "continuous" rather than "categorical" in the formatting pane. This can be done when using Power BI's built-in date hierarchy, but if you build your own date table and hierarchy, that option is not available. I saw some commentors state that you just need to make sure each level of your hierachy is formatted as a number, with the summarization set to "Don't summarize," but I found that making these changes didn't solve the problem. As far as I can tell, if you build your own date hierarchy, Power BI simply will not let you set it as continuous in the x-axis, and you will not be able to add a trendline.

Here is my work around. You need to add a separate date field that will summarize your data by month. Since I built my date table using MQuery, I just reopened my table in "Transform data" and added a column called "Last Date of Month," using this formula: 

each Date.EndOfMonth([insertdatecolumnname])

So for every date in, say, January 2023, this field shows the date "January 31, 2023." Then I set the data type for the new column to "date" and formatted the field to show the date as "YYYY-MM." Now, I can create a visualization using this field in the x-axis. Because it is a simple date field, it can be set as Continuous and a trendline can be added.

Obviously, it's not a hierarchy, so there will be no drilling down or up. But if you only need to display the monthly data, this should work. 

Of course, if your data table is built using DAX instead of MQuery, you'll need to use the corresponding DAX formula.

LarsKildemark

Hi winhTon,

I am expriencing the same problem. I have fond that if Power BI generates the date hierarchy automatically the trendline is available when you go throught the different levels.

However when I create a date table and use that then I am no longer able to get the trendline for anything but years. I don't know how the automatically generated hierarchy defines its levels and the data types in order to keep them all "continuous".

I have tried to have quarter and months be "date" by definingen them as for example end of quarter or end of month, but it does not work.

Here are som examples from an automatic hierarchy when I can see the trend line on all levels of the hierarchy (year, quarter, month):

LarsKildemark_0-1664786029537.pngLarsKildemark_1-1664786046216.pngLarsKildemark_2-1664786055980.png

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@VinhTon what have you tried based on the provided solution.

Follow us on LinkedIn and YouTube.gif to our YouTube channel

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make effort to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@VinhTon check this video on my YT channel and see if it helps. X-Axis Type, Data Type and Visual Scroll Bar - Power BI - YouTube

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@VinhTon Continuous option is only available when you have a number or date column on the x-axis.

Follow us on LinkedIn and YouTube.gif to our YouTube channel

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make effort to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Thanks this helps identify the problem but I still am not able to get a trend line with a year month format. I tried creating a date hiearchy and updated the post to reflect that. Would you know?

Hi, @VinhTon 

If your problem has been solved, please accept a reply as solution to close this thread, so that other community members will easily find the solution when they get the same issue.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

it has not been solved

fhill
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

....  Thoughts on creating a messure, that is your own math to create your own 'trend line' then add as a secondary 'values'?

Did I answer your question, or help you along the way?
Please give Kudos or Mark as a Solution!

https://www.linkedin.com/in/forrest-hill-04480730/

Proud to give back to the community!
Thank You!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.