Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to get a "Total column" in the clustered column chart

Hi,

I'm looking to get some inputs to implement a peculiar requirement in a Power BI report.

I need add a "total column" in a clustured column chat.

• I found out that there is no seamless way to do such a thing in PBI as some of the other things in visuals. This seems to be very easily doable in excel. I wonder why is this not the case in Power BI.
  • My model is something like below (subset of tables):
    • "Project" table: has projects info. Relevant attributes: status code, project-id and other relevant attributes.
    • "Project Type" table: has two fields, project id and dept.
    • "Project Status" table: has two fields status code and status.
  • Relationships are as one can imagine:
    • "Project" <-> "Project Type" on project id (1:M)
    • "Project" <-> "Project Status" on status code (M:1)
  •  Then, I need to have the clustured column chart visual as:-
    • Axis on "Project Type": dept.
    • Legend on "Project Status": status 
    • Values: total no of project
  • Now there is no easy way to do this, it seems. How to get the "Total Column" to show totals of "project type" across legends i.e. "project status". See below visual

Capture.PNG

• To me it seems one way (as I can envision) would be to use some sort of DAX based method. 
  • I created a calculated table, with a column as below, so that the "Total" also shows up in the axis
NewTable = UNION ( VALUES ( 'Project Type '[dept] ), ROW ( "Department", "Total" ) )

• Beyond this, I couldn't quite grasp what to do next:
    • Should I add another column in this new table for relationship with existing model. Wouldn't that cause erros such circular relationship.
    • There should be some measure in the new table as well, which can be used in the clustured column chart visual (in place of the exisring "count of project ids"). How should this measure's DAX look like, so that for "Total", it does totals across all axis/project-types by status/legend but for other axis values it just count projects for that axis.

I referred below but seems it doen't quite fit here.

reference post 

Would appreciate any pointers.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi  @Anonymous ,

Sorry for misleading you.Check below method.

Create a measure based on your new table.

Measure = IF(SELECTEDVALUE(NewTable[dept])="Total",CALCULATE(SUM('Project Type'[Value]),ALL(NewTable[dept])),SUM('Project Type'[Value]))

Finally you will see:

Annotation 2020-07-14 173028.png

For details,see attached.

Best Regards,
Kelly
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

In clustered column chart, it's unavailable to put a detailed X-axis with an aggregated X-axis together,I have a workaround,that is to create 2 clustered column charts,then put them together,looking like the result you wanna achieve.

See below:

Annotation 2020-07-13 100755.png

You can check the attachment for details.

Best Regards,
Kelly
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-kelly-msft Thanks for your response. I had already implemented this (by working with the formatting options of the two charts), but I would imagine this is not a very clean solution. There are are more axis values in future, these formating adjustements would have to be redone otherwise visually these charts may not look good. I'm looking for an alternate solution.

Hi @Anonymous ,

How about replacing the clustered column chart for totals with Multi-row card,the setting for card visual is much easier.See below:

Annotation 2020-07-14 084849.png

Best Regards,
Kelly
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @v-kelly-msft. Yes, all of these alternate solutions I have in my backup plan. Maybe I should have included all workarounds I had thought of in the question iteself.

So would you say, to have the "totals column" in the single chart itself is not possible through any method? DAX or sometime else?

Regards.

Hi  @Anonymous ,

Sorry for misleading you.Check below method.

Create a measure based on your new table.

Measure = IF(SELECTEDVALUE(NewTable[dept])="Total",CALCULATE(SUM('Project Type'[Value]),ALL(NewTable[dept])),SUM('Project Type'[Value]))

Finally you will see:

Annotation 2020-07-14 173028.png

For details,see attached.

Best Regards,
Kelly

There is a much simpeler solution than the ones mentioned:
Create a new clustered bar chart under the categorized one.
Place in axis the same measure(s) as in the chart above.

Keep the y-axis empty.

Place in Title of the y-axis 'Total'

The biggest advantage is that you can give this total-chart an other scale and an other format (bold labels for example).

image.png

I know this has been a while since you wrote your answer. But could you provide a step-by-step guide as to what you did for us newer folk? Thanks!

Hi All,
I have a similar problem that I am trying to solve. I have been able to achieve till getting the Total, but then if Total is selected then how to highlight Dept D1 and D2 from other visual as D1 and D2 make up Total.
Currently highlighting DI from Total visual displays D1 in other nad so for D2, but my requirment is highlighting Total should highlight both in other visual.
Please advise on how to achieve this?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @v-kelly-msft , I need the totals but for the rows. I try the same approach for it and seem to be stuck. I just used a rand function to introduce dates and pulled it to small multiples. I try creating a table but I'm unable to see the totals when I use clustered chart viz. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

_30Merl_0-1667876408836.png

hi @v-kelly-msft ,

How to edit this if want to show Total irrespective of any selection. If i select any department then i need that department and next to that i need the overall total.

i have a set of information , where i want the grand total as axis, and when i try above measure, i get the total in each bar. for exapmle if summation of three bar is 15, i am getting 15 on top of each bar. not sure how to resolve this, may i have a video to understand this in aproper way?

@create total in column chart

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-kelly-msft Thank you so much !! And no worries for the earlier input, I should have mentioned what all things I have in mind as backup.

Btw for me the total is coming up as the first "column", in your file it is coming up as "last". Did you do something for this? I would like to put it at last.

Appreciate your help. 

Hi  @Anonymous ,

Just ranking the showing order on the  top right button.

Best Regards,
Kelly
az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous 

maybe you should try to use 2 different visuals placed near each other.  one for detailed, second - for total. Set manually scale of Y-axis for both of them

do not hesitate to give a kudo to useful posts and mark solutions as solution
LinkedIn
Anonymous
Not applicable

@az38 Thanks for your response. I had already implemented this (by working with the formatting options of the two charts), but I would imagine this is not a very clean solution. There are are more axis values in future, these formating adjustements would have to be redone otherwise visually these charts may not look good. I'm looking for an alternate solution. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.