Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to display the measure description in Power BI?

 In my SSAS tabular model, I have populated the Description property for my measures. When I hover over a measure in the Fields list in Power BI Desktop, the description is displayed in a pop-up tooltip-style dialog.

MeasureDescriptionTooltip.jpg

Great, so the measure Description that is defined in the tabular model is definitely available to Power BI. Now, how do I make this measure description display as a tooltip when the measure is placed on a visual (e.g. table or matrix)? I want the users to be able to see the measure Description.

11 REPLIES 11
SEMattis
Advocate II
Advocate II

There are couple of options on how to do this though they are both rather complex and require a bit of time for proper implementation. 

Option 1 uses field parameters and can be found here: Dynamic measure descriptions in Power BI! - YouTube

Option 2 uses Tabular Editor and the Power BI api to source the metadata from your dataset in the Power BI service and can be found here: google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjsw--_78yBAxXFSPEDHR11DcQQFnoECBcQAQ&u...

Since I'm also struggling with finding an easy way to implement measure descriptions in my visuals I submitted an idea in this community. Please vote for it using this link: Link to idea 

OwaisAkber
Frequent Visitor

Go to the model (where you can see your tables' connection with each other). Select the measure, a sidebar will appear. Add your description in description text box. On hover exact text will appear

OwaisAkber_0-1691091249005.png

Hover the measure to read the description

OwaisAkber_1-1691091352665.png

Hi, how can I make this description visible when I hover the measure in the visual?

evelinemg

This description is added with an external tool Tabular Editor 

in this link you can find a bit more about it: https://data-marc.com/2021/02/10/add-descriptions-for-everything-you-create-in-power-bi/#:~:text=Whe....

Minakami
Frequent Visitor

having the same problem. anyone can help out?

I have replied in main thread. Hope it will help you

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

I think it is good to add this point, because it appears in some tools by default and in others not...

Create modern visual tools info (preview) - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

so in this link indicates how to activate them in all...

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

A tico:

I understand that this is what they occupy!!!!

Customize the tooltip in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Luck

I365SvcUsr
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

have you any solution for this problem?

How do I make this measure description display as a tooltip when the measure is placed on a visual?

Elisa

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah i am interessted too in this. Is there any possibility to show the description of a field/Measures to a customer and not to a report builder in PowerBI Desktop? 

I am interessted in a option to show this for report constumer via powerBI Service - App.

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

That doesn't do it. That video only describes how to set the measure Description property, which I already know how to do.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.