Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vsorensen
Frequent Visitor

Dynamically Generating and Appending Tables Using DAX

I have a table that looks like this:

vsorensen_0-1680627057673.png

And from that table I want to create a new table that looks like this:

vsorensen_1-1680627346879.png

The measure needs to filter the statusperiod (ex. <= 47), add a new column (status_id, 47) and add that to a second table that does the same thing with the next highest statusperiod number (<= 45) and so on until it hits the lowest number in the statusperiod colunm. I know I can do this by creating multiple tables and combining them, but I want it done dynamically so that when more data is added, I don't need to code a new table. 

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
barritown
Super User
Super User

Hello @vsorensen,

I'd propose such a solution:

barritown_0-1680689684737.png

However it has limitations - it won't work properly if you have a different combination of task_id and (status_id, statusperiod.

Here's the [DAX] code in text format for convenience:

new_table = 
VAR col2 = FILTER ( VALUES( data[statusperiod] ), [statusperiod] < MAX ( data[status_id] ) )
VAR col1 = SELECTCOLUMNS ( col2, "status_id", [statusperiod] )
VAR surplus = CROSSJOIN ( FILTER ( CROSSJOIN ( col1, col2 ), [status_id] >= [statusperiod] ), VALUES ( data[task_id] ) )
RETURN UNION ( data, surplus )

This is great, thank you! Unfortunately, I realized I made a mistake in my initial question: my original table does not have the status_id column but I would like to add it when the new table is generated. How would I do that? Also, how can I tweak this I if I have one more column? I've added a screenshot below of a better representation of my data. 

vsorensen_0-1680722020458.png

Can you also provide a table which is supposed to be your final result?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.