Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SabineOussi
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

Dates Raking with Selection

Hello,

I have a set of orders made by different departments and I am trying to rank them according to the sequence of orders (1st, 2nd, 3rd, ...) and the dates.

Here's a sample of the data

SAMPLE.PNG

If I want to choose only departments A and B, I should get this

AB.PNG

B, D, and E

BDE.PNG

etc.

I saw this post http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/DAX-Ranking-or-Indexing-Dates/m-p/41239#M15579 but couldn't get to the solution I want.

Any help is appreciated.
Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
AlexChen
Employee
Employee

Hi,

You can create a numeric calculate column for Date.

Column = VALUE(YEAR(Department[Date]) & if(MONTH(Department[Date]) < 10, "0" & MONTH(Department[Date]), MONTH(Department[Date])) & if(DAY(Department[Date]) < 10, "0" & DAY(Department[Date]), DAY(Department[Date])))

Then create a Rank measure within each Department group.

Measure = RANKX(ALLEXCEPT(Department,Department[Department]),CALCULATE(sum(Department[Column])),,ASC, Dense) - 1

This is the result:

1.png

2.png

3.png

Best Regards

Alex

Thank you Alex.

Your solution functions perfeclty when I have distinct dates.

But when I have the same date for the same department, measure does not work as it should.

Multiple Dates.PNG

Multiple Dates Data.PNG

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks again.

Hi,

If you have only 2 columns in Department table, I suggest you using following code to remove duplicated records in a new table.

Department2 = DISTINCT(Department)

Then create the same “Column” and “Measure” just as I wrote in my reply above for Department2.

Best Regards

Alex

Thank you Alex for your help.

The thing is they are not duplicated records. Only the department and the date are the same while other columns like quantity and description differ. So a department can make many orders during the same day, that's why I cannot remove any record.

I'm not sure if this is feasible...

Thanks.

SabineOussi
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

Hello, 

I have a set of orders made by different departments and I am trying to rank them according to the sequence of orders (1st, 2nd, 3rd, ...) and the dates.

Here's a sample of the data

SAMPLE.PNG

If I want to choose only departments A and B, I should get this

AB.PNG

B, D, and E

BDE.PNG

etc.

I saw this post http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/DAX-Ranking-or-Indexing-Dates/m-p/41239#M15579 but couldn't get to the solution I want.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.