Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

WomanToBlame
Advocate I
Advocate I

Notebook in Pipeline: Please attach a lakehouse to proceed

Hello,

When trying to run a notebook as part of a pipeline I am frequently getting the following error message:

Spark SQL queries are only possible in the context of a lakehouse. Please attach a lakehouse to proceed.

I do have a lakehouse attached to the notebooks. I can run the individual notebooks successfully and occassionally they will run in the pipeline, but 9 out of 10 times it fails with this error message. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @WomanToBlame ,

Save a copy will not work. You should open that notebook. Edit it to trigger auto save. You can also re-attach lakehouse again in notebook ux

Can you please try and let me know if it works?

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
ajarora
Employee
Employee

This looks like a product bug. In case you dont receive the needed response here, the best way to proceed further is to log a support ticket.

v-gchenna-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @WomanToBlame ,

Thanks for using Fabric Community and reporting this.

Apologies for the issue you have been facing. I would like to check are you still facing this issue? 

It's difficult to tell what could be the reason for this performance. I would request you to wait for sometime and try again.

If the issue still persists, can you please share few more details about the nature of the failure like screenshots? error? sessionID? repro steps?

I would be able to guide you better once you provide these details.

Hello @v-gchenna-msft,

Thanks for your response. The issue still occurs. It happens frequently enough that it is very easy to reproduce (it fails more often than succeeds). 

I have 4 notebooks that I have added to a pipeline. I have them set to run on the success of the previous one:

WomanToBlame_3-1699046869616.png

Here are some screen shots (I have the retry set to 3):

WomanToBlame_0-1699046690483.pngWomanToBlame_1-1699046717197.png

WomanToBlame_2-1699046786036.png

sessionId":"aedb126f-3b59-4490-8808-cea0f218e31d"

Hi @WomanToBlame ,

Thanks for using Fabric Community and reporting this.

Apologies for the issue you have been facing.  We are reaching out to the internal team to get more information related to your query and will get back to you as soon as we have an update.

Thank you, @v-gchenna-msft !

Hi @WomanToBlame ,

Thanks for using Fabric Community and reporting this,

You haven't done anything wrong. We've identified this as a bug in the front-end that was affecting the creation of notebooks from Lakehouse or Data Factory.

A simple workaround for this issue is to save all the notebooks once more and try again.
In case if it doesn't resolve your issue, can you please share the session id?

Hope this is helpful. Please let me know in case of further queries.

Thanks, @v-gchenna-msft , unfortunately that did not work. I saved a copy of the notebook and included it in the pipeline, but I still get the same error.

rrunId: 5XXX0f6-XXXX-4cc2-XXXX-448cXXXX5833

sessionId: 372XXXX9-XXXX-463b-XXXX-60b4XXXXc5a0

message: Spark SQL queries are only possible in the context of a lakehouse. Please attach a lakehouse to proceed.

Hi @WomanToBlame ,

Apologies for the issue you have been facing.  We are reaching out to the internal team to get more information related to your query and will get back to you as soon as we have an update.

Hi @WomanToBlame ,

Save a copy will not work. You should open that notebook. Edit it to trigger auto save. You can also re-attach lakehouse again in notebook ux

Can you please try and let me know if it works?

Where do you get the option on attaching lakehouse to a notebook ?

Haha, it worked! Thank you! My goodness, in my next life, I want to be a Buddhist, a philosophy teacher, or something less weird... Just kidding! But seriously, thanks a lot!

Thank you, @v-gchenna-msft, it works! Leaving the notebook in the pipeline, I detached and reattached the lakehouse. Just editing did not seem to work. Also, my original mistake was thinking the notebook needed to be removed from the pipeline, edited, and re-added.

Where do you get the option of attaching lakehouse to a notebook ? can you please show it?

In the notebook that is throwing the error, in the panel on the left, left click on your lakehouse name. A context menu will appear with the option to "Remove all Lakehouses". Select that option, then do "Add Lakehouse" to re-add it. Once you select "Add Lakehouse" you will have the option to add an existing Lakehouse.

WomanToBlame_0-1708690241190.png

Hi @WomanToBlame ,

Glad to know that your query got resolved. Please continue using Fabric Community for any help regarding your queries

Helpful resources

Announcements
April Fabric Update Carousel

Fabric Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors