Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GQ
Helper I
Helper I

The syntax for ')' is incorrect.

I've searched for this and the typical suggestion is that the Return is needed.  I'm using this in a new column, does it need to be a measure?  What is the issue?  I need to have a few of these but figured I'd get one right first.

GQ_0-1674232000877.png

11 REPLIES 11
tamerj1
Super User
Super User

Hi @GQ 

which column from that table would you like to return? What is the relationship between the two tables?

I want to return the 1st column which is a member number.  It is unique and it linked to another table by that number.  Essentially, if the member is not in that table, I need to concatenate another literal to a message column.  (see my reply to unicorn in this thread with my needed logic.)

tamerj1
Super User
Super User

Hi @GQ 

which column from that table would you like to return? What is the relationship between the two tables?

GQ
Helper I
Helper I

I got a new error.

GQ_0-1674233149946.png

@AnthonyJoseph - the link did not work

@unicorns 

Hi GQ, 

I just read your post again and if you are trying to use this in a 'new column' then it should be a measure. I think that formula is returning an entire table, which you can't use for a column since it's returning multiple columns. 

you should assign your code to a measure in this case. I think you can use filters+aggregate functions in your code to ensure you are returning a measure instead of entire table. let me know if I can help. 

I'm getting the same error as a measure.

Are you able to share a pbi file or information/logic on what kind of measure you are trying to create for that new column?

I created another post yesterday, I think, that may help you understand where I'm going.  It said (with notations added now):

I need to have a result column in my report be a concatenation of text and conditionally, 1 or 2 addtional text 'values'.

Donor+xxxx - in every row
conditionally, if donor # from table 1 matches a donor # from table 2, I need to concatenate "+yyy" - this would be CHAG
Further, if the State in another table = a certain value, additional concatenate "+zzz'  This, I was hoping would be another var situation.

Both the yyy & zzz are optional

End results could be any of:
Donor+xxxx
Donor+xxxx+yyy
Donor+xxxx+zzz
Donor+xxxx+yyy+zzz

yyy and zzz are not present in any table, just text values to concatenate.

@AnthonyJoseph  - I got it to work from the email I received.

unicorns
Helper II
Helper II

Hi GQ, 

Can you try returning the variable you have created? 

TestReq = 

var CHAG = RELATEDTABLE(CHAGAS)

RETURN CHAG

You can define a variable in any DAX expression by using VAR followed by RETURN. In one or several VAR sections, you individually declare the variables needed to compute the expression; in the RETURN part you provide the expression itself (Source: SQLPBI)

Let me know if you have any questions.

If this solves your issues, please mark it as the solution, and Kudos 👍 are very much appreciated!

- YJ

AnthonyJoseph
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi @GQ  Return funtion consumes variables. 

TestReq = 

var Chag = Relatedtable(CHAGAS)

Return 
Chag

This solution might help you to understand better https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-DAX-Execute-VAR-RETURN/m-p/654960 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors