Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

Euro0681
Helper II
Helper II

SUMX vs SUMX w/Summarize

I have create a measure that sums another measure (reason for this is to correct the totals):

Measure 1 = if([Quantity] < 0 || [Price] < 0 || [Difference] = 0, 0, [Quantity] * [Price])
Measure 2 = SUMX('Table', [Measure 1])  <--- This total is 10,000

I then re-created the same measure using 'SUMMARIZE' trying to help with performance since 'Measure 2' (breaks the visual when applied with other measures)

Measure 3 = SUMX( SUMMARIZE( 'Table', 'Table'[ProductName] ), [Measure 1] )  <--- Total is 9,000

But when using this version, the total is 9,000, Why? 
Also I know SUMX is hurting the performance (especially because of the conditional measure) , if anyone has any suggestions helping to optimize it would greatly be appreciated PLEASE and Thank you! (I can only create measure LIVE CONNECTION) 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
FreemanZ
Super User
Super User

hi @Euro0681 

Measure 2 scans the whole table, Measure 3 scans the unique list of 'Table'[ProductName]. It seems the 'Table'[ProductName] column has blank rows.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
FreemanZ
Super User
Super User

hi @Euro0681 

Measure 2 scans the whole table, Measure 3 scans the unique list of 'Table'[ProductName]. It seems the 'Table'[ProductName] column has blank rows.

Thanks, I was thinking the same but was just wanting to get confirmation!

Helpful resources

Announcements
July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

July Newsletter

Fabric Community Update - July 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.