Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

NO CALCULATE theory test1

Curious about @Greg_Deckler  NO CALCULATE theory (video, article)
Looks very atrractive, but needs to test.

For example:
I want to rank Date based on all subgroups mentioned in matrix Rows section except Date.
Examples
DenisSipchenko_0-1673541098962.png
So, it means that I want to avoid explicit use of Type and subType columnnames in measures/calculations

My DAX measures (NB! without IF statements these measures makes cartesian product for subType (details)):

lastDate2 = 
IF(        
    NOT ISEMPTY(tstTable),
    CALCULATE(
        LASTDATE(tstTable[Date]),
        REMOVEFILTERS(tstTable[Date])
    )
)
rnkDate2 = 
VAR t =
    CALCULATETABLE(
        VALUES(tstTable[Date]),
        REMOVEFILTERS(tstTable[Date])
    )
RETURN 
    IF( 
        NOT ISEMPTY(tstTable),        
        RANKX(
            t,
            LASTDATE(tstTable[Date])
        )    

it explicitly uses CALCULATE and CALCULATETABLE
QUESTION: how to get the same functionality without explicit use of these functions?

Data Model:
DenisSipchenko_0-1674032531668.pngSource file Download

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous Well, variable use is recommended whether using CALCULATE or not using CALCULATE. The difference in the No CALCULATE approach is that it generally eschews the use of CALCULATE for more "readable" and less "complex" DAX. CALCULATE is a super complex function that can easily give really kind of bizarre and wacky results, particularly in single table data models. It is very "black box" meaning you can't debug internally what exactly it is doing. But, the reality is that CALCULATE is really just a filter function. Essentially you can state what CALCULATE does with the words:

"Go perform this calculation but modify the filter context with these filter clauses I am specifying"

Now, how it goes about that is black box and complex. So, instead, the idea of the No CALCULATE approach is simple:

1. Start with a table

2. Filter and/or group the table as appropriate

3. Use an X aggregator to aggregate across your filtered/grouped table

By using this simple, 3 step approach, most DAX problems can be solved quite easily and by doing this process using variables it is super easy to debug and understand every step of what is going on. And CALCULATE is not necessary (because it's really just a filtering function after all and you can do most of that using FILTER).

There are complex scenarios where you have to use CALCULATE but this is more because Microsoft has designed filter functions that only work with CALCULATE rather than the No CALCULATE process itself. So, there will always be scenarios where you *have* to use CALCULATE but they are minimal and would likely be completely eliminated if Microsoft actually made functions like REMOVEFILTERS and other similar functions work outside of CALCULATE or provide equivalent functions.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Greg_Deckler 
Please don't give up! 🙂
CALCULATE is not only your own headache...

Probably, It would be too ideal to exclude CALCULATE usage everywhere.
But, If it's not possible, it would be nice to have a list of  "NO CALCULATE" limitations.

Screens from @Greg_Deckler ALLEXCEPT without CALCULATE video:
Before:
DenisSipchenko_0-1674119606080.png
After:
DenisSipchenko_1-1674119615139.png

For me this topic looks corelated with SQLBI experts materials about Variables in DAX.
Basicaly, you are talking the same things by different words: how to write code that works like estimated.
Just "NO CALCULATE" title is a bit more "flashy".

Last example by  @marcorusso   Debugging DAX measures in Power BI (first 12 minutes):
Before: Beautiful&Compact, but not working as estimated:

DenisSipchenko_2-1674120267359.png

After: Verbose, but understandable&debuggable and working as estimated:

DenisSipchenko_3-1674120294326.png

@Anonymous Well, variable use is recommended whether using CALCULATE or not using CALCULATE. The difference in the No CALCULATE approach is that it generally eschews the use of CALCULATE for more "readable" and less "complex" DAX. CALCULATE is a super complex function that can easily give really kind of bizarre and wacky results, particularly in single table data models. It is very "black box" meaning you can't debug internally what exactly it is doing. But, the reality is that CALCULATE is really just a filter function. Essentially you can state what CALCULATE does with the words:

"Go perform this calculation but modify the filter context with these filter clauses I am specifying"

Now, how it goes about that is black box and complex. So, instead, the idea of the No CALCULATE approach is simple:

1. Start with a table

2. Filter and/or group the table as appropriate

3. Use an X aggregator to aggregate across your filtered/grouped table

By using this simple, 3 step approach, most DAX problems can be solved quite easily and by doing this process using variables it is super easy to debug and understand every step of what is going on. And CALCULATE is not necessary (because it's really just a filtering function after all and you can do most of that using FILTER).

There are complex scenarios where you have to use CALCULATE but this is more because Microsoft has designed filter functions that only work with CALCULATE rather than the No CALCULATE process itself. So, there will always be scenarios where you *have* to use CALCULATE but they are minimal and would likely be completely eliminated if Microsoft actually made functions like REMOVEFILTERS and other similar functions work outside of CALCULATE or provide equivalent functions.

Latest book!:

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous Not sure if you can avoid explicitly referencing Type and Subtype in that case. It's an unforunate aspect of CALCULATE mania that Microsoft has created certain functions like REMOVEFILTERS that only work as a filter clause within the CALCULATE function versus just a general filter function like ALL and ALLEXCEPT. 

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors