Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Berl21
Helper III
Helper III

Error message for a measure - how to interpret it

Hi,

I added a calculated table to my data with values for the previous year, and then tried to add a measure using Switch.

This is what I wrote.

Range PY = SWITCH(TRUE(),'Leads Amount PY'[Count of Leads PY]<3,"1-3",'Leads Amount PY'[Count of Leads PY]<5,"3-5",'Leads Amount PY'[Count of Leads PY]<10,"5-10")

I get the following error message:
A single value for column 'Count of Leads PY' in table 'Leads Amount PY' cannot be determined. This can happen when a measure formula refers to a column that contains many values without specifying an aggregation such as min, max, count, or sum to get a single result.

The thing is I took the exact same steps for the current year, it works without a hitch and there is no aggregation there either. Is there another way to interpret this error message? What else can I check to make sure it works as intended?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Berl21
Helper III
Helper III

Ok, I got it. The problem was indeed that it was a measure @amitchandak . Beginner mistake 😑

For anyone who reads this, this should be made over a calculated column based on the calculated table (instead of with a measure).

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Berl21
Helper III
Helper III

Ok, I got it. The problem was indeed that it was a measure @amitchandak . Beginner mistake 😑

For anyone who reads this, this should be made over a calculated column based on the calculated table (instead of with a measure).

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Berl21 , Rae you trying to add a measure in a calculated column?

@amitchandak to provide an example, this is the calculated table what I did for all the data (no filter on the year).

Calculated table:

Leads Amount =

SUMMARIZE(
    Leads_Table,
    Leads_Table[ZH_Account__c],
    Leads_Table[Lead_Creation_Date],
    "Count of Leads",
    [Count Leads]
)

I then inserted this measure:

Range = SWITCH(TRUE(),'Leads Amount'[Count of Leads]<3,"1-3",'Leads Amount'[Count of Leads]<5,"3-5",'Leads Amount'[Count of Leads]<10,"5-10")

The result appears correctly in the final table:

Berl21_0-1666166759070.png

I am now trying to reproduce this with a change to the first step (filter for the previous year). But for some reason that I don't understand, I get this error message about an aggregation issue 😞

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors