Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

XR043
Frequent Visitor

Calculate Average for a group with filters

Hello Experts,

I've struggled with these DAX for a while,  it should be easy but couldn't get the results I want. Hope to get your guidance on this.

I want to be able to compare the average sales for a product and the average sales for the product category which the product belongs to and for the specific store that's been selected, so I guess I want to calculate: 

1. the average sales for each product (by product_id), and

2. the average sales for each product category (product_category) by different stores (store_id). The store_id could be added as a slicer 

What I tried:

AVG Customer Sales =
AVERAGEX('Sales by Store',
'Sales by Store'[quantity_sold] * 'Sales by Store'[unit_price])

AVG Customer Sales_Category by StoreID =
CALCULATE(
    [AVG Customer Sales],
    ALLEXCEPT('Sales by Store','Product Lookup'[product_category],'Sales by Store'[store_id])
)

However the snapshot below shows that I didnt actually achieve this. I think the AVG Customer Sales_Category by StoreID should show 21.10 which is the average for Coffee beans in Store 3, which the product (product_id =1) belongs to.

I was wondering if anyone can give me some ideas on what to do. Thank you.
XR043_3-1662278919501.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
m3tr01d
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hi @XR043,

First, I would try to see if your issue is solved by adding the Product_Category on your table on the left. There is a specific behavior when using ALLEXCEPT where if a column you are using in ALLEXCEPT is not preset in the filter context, it won't work.

In your use case, Product_Category is not explicitly present in the table so you won't be able to use ALLEXCEPT for that column. Hope it helps.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
m3tr01d
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hi @XR043,

First, I would try to see if your issue is solved by adding the Product_Category on your table on the left. There is a specific behavior when using ALLEXCEPT where if a column you are using in ALLEXCEPT is not preset in the filter context, it won't work.

In your use case, Product_Category is not explicitly present in the table so you won't be able to use ALLEXCEPT for that column. Hope it helps.

daXtreme
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@XR043 

Can you please post a picture of your model?

Thanks.

Yep, here's the model:

XR043_0-1662280962201.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors