Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sophietje1p

Filter Top N rows to keep visual from breaking

Hi all,

I have a table visual with over 1 million rows (1 trillion), which gives an error untill a dashboard user uses filters to reduce the number of rows to somewhere below 1 million. Using conditional formatting, I have made the visual transparant when: countdistinct(unique row id) > 150.000, aka when the visual would exceed 150.000 rows. 

Ideally, the visual would be invisible untill a user filters below 150.000 rows, and then appear. However, now the visual breaks when it exceeds 1 million rows, creating the well-known grey square, which is not what I want in my dashboard. 

So far I've tried using the Top N filter in the filter pane (top 150.000 unique row id), but this works extremely slow and is therefore not feasible. However, a function like this would be exactly what I'm looking for. I'm working with DirectQuery so I can't create a calculated table with the top 150.000 / 1 million rows.

Are there other ways to reduce the data in my visual so that it doesn't break anymore? 

Thanks a lot! 

Sophie

1 REPLY 1
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Challenge your business users about the usefulness of that table visual. No user will ever scroll past the first 100 rows.

Aggregate your data in a meaningful way.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.