Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ganesh_Shinde77
Frequent Visitor

slow loading data from Exchange.contents into Power BI Desktop. & Failing to set up schedule refresh

1. Slow Data Loading: Initially, it's taking up to 2.5 hours to load approximately 130,000 records from the mailbox into Power BI Desktop. I'm only interested in loading the 'receivedDateTime' column to visualize the incoming mail traffic over time. What could be causing this extended loading time, and what are the possible strategies to expedite the process while focusing solely on the required data?

2. While loading the data, I've noticed that the displayed numbers are larger than the actual values. What might be causing this discrepancy?

3. Schedule Refresh Error: After loading the data into Power BI Desktop, creating the report, and publishing it, I encountered errors when attempting to set up a schedule refresh. I've attached images depicting the errors encountered. Could someone who has encountered similar issues provide assistance?

Ganesh_Shinde77_0-1713967574445.png

Notes:

1. I'm using Pro license.
  2. The mailbox account is on Office 365.
4 REPLIES 4
Ganesh_Shinde77
Frequent Visitor

@johnbasha33  thanks for your time here, i will try with the solutions you provided and will update if the issue gets resolved

Hi  @Ganesh_Shinde77 ,

Have you solved your problem? If so, can you share your solution here and mark the correct answer as a standard answer to help other members find it faster? Thank you very much for your kind cooperation!

Best Regards

Yilong Zhou

Hi @v-yilong-msft 
Using the same login credentials for both the MailBox and Power BI accounts resolved the schedule refresh issue. However, I didn't receive any suitable solutions for optimizing slow loading.

johnbasha33
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@Ganesh_Shinde77 

The extended loading time for importing data from your mailbox into Power BI Desktop could be caused by several factors:

1. **Volume of Data:** 130,000 records may not seem like a large volume, but if each record contains a significant amount of information or attachments, it can slow down the import process.

2. **Network Latency:** Slow network connections can contribute to extended loading times, especially when fetching data from remote servers like Office 365.

3. **Complex Queries:** If your query is complex or involves multiple transformations, it can increase loading times. Since you're only interested in the 'receivedDateTime' column, ensure your query is optimized to select only the necessary data.

4. **Authentication Issues:** Ensure that your connection to the Office 365 mailbox is properly authenticated and authorized to access the data.

To expedite the loading process and focus solely on the required data ('receivedDateTime' column), consider the following strategies:

1. **Query Optimization:** Optimize your query to select only the necessary columns ('receivedDateTime') and apply any necessary filters to reduce the volume of data being imported.

2. **Incremental Refresh:** If your mailbox data is continually growing, consider implementing incremental refresh to only import new or updated data since the last refresh, reducing the amount of data to be imported each time.

3. **Data Source Settings:** Check the settings in Power BI Desktop related to data source settings, such as data privacy levels and data load options, and adjust them as needed to optimize performance.

Regarding the discrepancy in the displayed numbers being larger than the actual values, this could be due to data type mismatches or formatting issues. Ensure that the data types in your Power BI model match the data types in your data source and that any formatting applied is appropriate.

For the schedule refresh error, it would be helpful to see the attached image depicting the error message to provide specific assistance. However, common issues with schedule refresh errors can include authentication issues, data source connectivity problems, or issues with the dataset configuration in Power BI Service. Review the error message and try to troubleshoot based on the specific details provided in the error message.

Additionally, since you have a Pro license and are using Office 365, you can reach out to Microsoft Support for assistance with any technical issues related to Power BI and Office 365 integration. They can provide personalized support and guidance to help resolve the issues you're encountering.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos !!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors