Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nateharwood
Frequent Visitor

"Failed to use the selected gateway." when adding Streaming DirectQuery dataset to datamodel

Hi, I really hope you can help.

I currently use a personal gateway to connect to a MySql database in service, which works absolutely fine. However, when I add a DirectQuery connection to a PowerBI streaming dataset to the data model, I'm suddenly no longer able to use the gateway and receive the following error:

Activity ID: f0f16fd2-6671-49ab-81ae-986c7c3005a0
Request ID: 1c4dbb2e-f1aa-3a23-2955-4241219a16cf
Correlation ID: 23d606af-942b-9bf1-131a-dab43e413da3
Status code: 400
Time: Sat Mar 25 2023 15:27:43 GMT+0000 (Greenwich Mean Time)
Service version: 13.0.20342.55
Client version: 2303.3.12949-train
Cluster URI: https://wabi-uk-south-c-primary-redirect.analysis.windows.net/

Note that on desktop it works absolutely fine, although I'm importing directly from the MySQL database and therefore not having to use the gateway. Please see below screenshot from my data model for reference.

nateharwood_0-1679758354277.png

One thought crossed my mind - does the gateway need to be amended to enterprise? I'd be surprised by this though, given the streaming dataset doesn't use the gateway? Please let me know if you need any more information.

Many thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @nateharwood ,

a personal gateway does not support direct query connections: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway-personal-mode

As you added a second data source to your Power BI desktop file that is not supported by the gateway. The error occurs.

You have to use a gateway in standard mode (fka Enterprise gateway).

Regards,

Tom

P.S.: It's not necessary to add a screenshot from the error message as this does not reveal anything to us.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
nateharwood
Frequent Visitor

Thanks @TomMartens - switched to enterprise gateway and works perfectly. Appreciate your help!

TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @nateharwood ,

a personal gateway does not support direct query connections: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway-personal-mode

As you added a second data source to your Power BI desktop file that is not supported by the gateway. The error occurs.

You have to use a gateway in standard mode (fka Enterprise gateway).

Regards,

Tom

P.S.: It's not necessary to add a screenshot from the error message as this does not reveal anything to us.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors