Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

venujasti
Frequent Visitor

multiple accounts on enterprise gateway

Hi,

I have a situation while using Enterprise gateway for powerbi, below is the scenario we are in and any suggestion are much appreciated

We have a tabular model on server X conneted to database X1 for department1 over which our reports are running. The reports are using Directquery to get data from the tabular model. There is an Enterprise gateway setup(on server X) using account account1@domain.com connecting the tabular model to reports on powerbi.com 

We have another server Y where another set of reports for department2 are developed over the same database X1. There is an Enterprise gateway setup(on server Y) using account account2@domain.com connecting the database to our reports on powerbi.com  

Now we are trying to get rid of server Y and move everything to server X so its easy to maintain all powerbi related stuff on one server. We want to maintain both the accounts on powebi.com and connet them through single gateway.

I tried setting up the gateway by logging using account2@domain.com on server X enterprise gateway but doing so is disabing account1@domain.com and vice verse.

can we use multiple accounts on Enterprise gateway?

Regards,

Venu Jasti

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @venujasti,

Based on my test, if the enterprise gateway is installed on the server, and person logged on this server can only use one Power BI Service account to register the gateway currently. But we can share the data sources configured under the gateway with other users, then other user's published report can also use those data source connection without configure it again:

z1.PNG

In your scenario, if you want to remove the sever Y, you need to configure those data sources which under the account2@domain.com account previously under account1@domain.com gateway again. Then you can add the account2@domain.com as the administrator of this gateway like below. Then the account2@domain.com can add himself as those data sources users like first image. It means that two accounts can use one gateway and its data sources.

w1.PNG

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
MarkSlosberg

It looks like the answer is one Service Account per Enterprise Data Gateway.  I have a slightly different requirement that is affected by this reality.

1. I want one Service Account with permissions set to only be able to execute SQL stored procedures to use with my Power App/Automate apps where I am using Flows to execute stored procs and not allowing my Power App to connect directly to the SQL Connector.  This seems to be a recommended best practice design pattern for performance and security.
  2. I want another Power BI Service Account with a broader set of permissions and then allow control at the Windows authentication level.

If, if fact, I can't for now have multiple service accounts for a single enterprise data gateways, can I install multiple gateways on a single SQL Server?  Probably not ideal, but could be a workaround for the time being.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @venujasti,

Based on my test, if the enterprise gateway is installed on the server, and person logged on this server can only use one Power BI Service account to register the gateway currently. But we can share the data sources configured under the gateway with other users, then other user's published report can also use those data source connection without configure it again:

z1.PNG

In your scenario, if you want to remove the sever Y, you need to configure those data sources which under the account2@domain.com account previously under account1@domain.com gateway again. Then you can add the account2@domain.com as the administrator of this gateway like below. Then the account2@domain.com can add himself as those data sources users like first image. It means that two accounts can use one gateway and its data sources.

w1.PNG

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Qiuyun Yu,

I have more or less the same question, however, in my scenario Account1 and Account2 do not reside in the same organisation, since they are held by mutiple customers. So: account1 is for customer x (account1@domain1.com) and account2 is for customer y (account2@domainy.com). How would that work?

Thanks!

Hi, I have the same problem. Did you solve it?

Regards

Alberto

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors