Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

da26
Frequent Visitor

date value of slicer visual not updating after the scheduled refresh

Hi!

We have a report in power bi that is scheduled refresh daily and connects on-premise data source. After the refresh was made, the date value in slicer visual is still not updating. We still need to manually refresh the page before the changes take effect. 

For example, we publish the report yesterday (02-21-2017), and the data is refreshed today, the latest value of the date in slicer must be 02-22-2017 but the changes do not take effect. This issue is encountered in Service but in Desktop, it works fine.

Thanks for your response. 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @da26

Could I ask a question for on your Date Slicer, is a date range specifically selected? 

The reason I ask is if you had to remove the Date slicer, and just put in a Card which has the latest date, and refresh your data, does the card reflect the latest date?

If it does then the process is working as expected and it is that there is a selection on the Date Slicer that is causing it now to show the updated data correctly.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
Ivan4ever84
Frequent Visitor

I faced the same issue months ago.
Try to delete the filter and add a new one with the same measures/position/colours/etc. without touch the values (for example: do not move the bar in the "between mode"). Save and refresh. It should solve the problem.

volhadatay

Please see if the additional steps below help.

Download the report, in PowerBI Desktop:

Click on the slicer and then on the Clear selections icon (a tiny icon in the upper right-hand side corner of the slicer. Note: this option is available when Slicer Header is set to ON vs. using the Title).

Format the visual -> Slicer settings -> (your style stays the same, set to 'Between') -> click on 'Reset to default' option available right under the Style box (the option will change from green to gray).

Save the changes and deploy your report.

From browser, navigate to the updated report and click on the 'Reset filters, slicers, and other data view changes you've made' icon which is located under the wheel look like 'Settings' icon or next to the bookmarks icon. 

And don't forget to update any bookmarks you may have that could undo that reset.

Going to piggy bank off your comment, as this workaround shows more issues with the slicer that Microsoft needs to address.

1) Using a title should not make the eraser dissappear, its poor design that a critical feature dissapears because a title is used.

2) The font sizes/types are WILDLY inconsistent on a title vs slicer header. Set a slicer header to 10 Arial. Now make a copy, turn off headers and make the title 10 Arial. The fonts are drastically different sizes.

DaveDandoMoore
Frequent Visitor

I just had this exact same issue. I got around it with using bookmark to set the slider to a relative date, and changing it to a between slider (all in the same bookmark). Works perfectly. Hope this is of use to someone.

Can you please provide complete solution.

Could you please explain in more detail? Are these steps correct?

1) change slicer type to relative

2) Create bookmark to save that slicer state

3) Change slicer back to between

4) Update the created bookmark so it captures new state

5) Now it just works? Does the bookmark need to be used when the report loads or anything?

Almost, but you only need to update once. So:
1) Change slicer type to relative

2) Set slicer to duration required (e.g. last 30 days)

3) Change slicer type to between

4) Update bookmark

The report I'm building calls for a bookmark anyway, but I think you'd need a bookmark to make it work, even if it's a default on loading bookmark. I suspect that using the relative date slider sets the date values differently somehow. 

Gouri_123

Hi, Are you able to fix this issue? I Yes, Can you share the solution please?

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @da26,

Could you please describe more details about how you create the date slicer?

I make a test using the following report, my data source is a on-premises SQL Server database, after I change date value in the underlying table of slicer, refresh works as expected and date values are updated in the date slicer based on refresh schedule.
1.PNG

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi, Are you able to get the solution for this issue? If yes can you share please.

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft

For example, the date displayed in report is like this (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BycYudilmRO4ajFjeDNCSF9iS2s/view?usp=sharing) and this report is scheduled refresh today. The value of date in that slicer visual must also update today automatically. But that doesn't happen. It just retain the date value yesterday and we just need to manually refresh the report page instead of just automatically update the page after the scheduled refresh happen.

In Power BI Desktop, the automatic update of date value in slicer works fine but in Service, this doesn't happen.

What should we do?

Thanks in advance.

Hi @da26,

Could you please post all messages in Refresh History?

Have you changed the date value in the underlying table of slicer in your data source? Do you select a date range in Between mode of  the date slicer?

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft

This is the link on the screen shot of Refresh History.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BycYudilmRO4WDFJdHZTRlhRVmM/view?usp=sharing

As you can see, the scheduled refresh are completed successfully but still the date value in slicer is not updating automatically. We also changed the date value in our data source. But the value of slicer only changes when we select a date range and using the manual refresh of the report.

Do we really need to just manually refresh the report after the scheduled refresh in order for the update to happen? Or normally, the update is automatic when scheduled refresh was made?

Thank you so much for the response. 🙂

Hi @da26

Could I ask a question for on your Date Slicer, is a date range specifically selected? 

The reason I ask is if you had to remove the Date slicer, and just put in a Card which has the latest date, and refresh your data, does the card reflect the latest date?

If it does then the process is working as expected and it is that there is a selection on the Date Slicer that is causing it now to show the updated data correctly.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

I have the same issue.  How do you not select dates ?  I am displaying a date slicer as 'between', and each time the dataset updates on the service it makes no difference to the date range selected on the slicer.

I am also experiencing this with my between date slicer as well. Connected to a live data source. When the range previously was fully expanded it would update as the data source is updated. Now it defaults to whatever the data range was when it was published, and not updating when more recent dates become available

Still having the same issue as you! Updates fine for a while then randomly stops working until re-published. So strange!

How do we remove the selection on a slicer to ensure it always selects all the data?

Hi there, did you manage to resolve this? 😞 I'm having the same problem and couldn't find the solution online. Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors