Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Teaman
Frequent Visitor

Workspace security not working

Hi All,

I have a workspace which a limited number of people have viewer access to. There is a report in here, which when shared via the 'People with existing access' link seems to be able to be viewed by people who are not included in the list of 'Manage access' of the workspace. This has confused me as this shouldn't happen as far as I am aware. See below for the details of the Workspace, report, Dataset and users.

- The viewers of the workspace and those that can view the report outside of the 'Manage access' list, all have Power BI Pro Licences
- The outside viewers do not have 'Direct access' to either the report or dataset

- The report has no 'Share view' links

- Two of the workspace viewers have created links with the below credentials for the report and dataset... but the people viewing the report outside of the workspace didn't use these links.

Teaman_0-1709291112946.png

How are people outside of the workspace able to view the report using the 'People with existing access' link?

When I originally set up this workspace, I made sure people who didn't have access to the workspace couldn't view the reports in it. Is there some sort of admin setting that may have changed?

TIA!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks, @v-zhengdxu-msft @lbendlin ,

I raised a ticket with MS and I think it's due to the tennant level setting 'Allow shareable links to grant access to everyone in your organisation' being enabled. I'll try disabling it and the above steps and will accept this as a solution if it works.

Update: Solution was either this or the fact that fabric licences were distributed to everyone.

Thank you

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-zhengdxu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Teaman 

Thanks @lbendlin in advance for your contribution to the forum.

You can troubleshoot the issue by following these steps:

1. You can create a report in another workspace, and then share it with members who are not in this workspace through share, and check whether they can access it.

2. If the report can be accessed normally, please check the settings related to user share in the Export and share setting in the admin portal

vzhengdxumsft_0-1709803694764.jpeg

3. If you want to restrict access to people, you can try setting a sensitivity label by following the link below, properly labeling your data with a sensitivity label ensures that only authorized people can access your data:

vzhengdxumsft_1-1709803722933.png

Here are some links for your reference:

How to apply sensitivity labels in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Information protection tenant settings - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards

Zhengdong Xu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks, @v-zhengdxu-msft @lbendlin ,

I raised a ticket with MS and I think it's due to the tennant level setting 'Allow shareable links to grant access to everyone in your organisation' being enabled. I'll try disabling it and the above steps and will accept this as a solution if it works.

Update: Solution was either this or the fact that fabric licences were distributed to everyone.

Thank you

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Is this a Pro or Premium workspace?  Are you giving access to the workspace or the app? Did you allow re-share?

Hi @lbendlin,

1. The workspace is a pro workspace
2. I'm giving access to the workspace - we don't have an app set up

3. Do you mean the below button? I haven't shared the report with this link (I shared it with the 'People with existing access link).

Teaman_0-1709540312116.png

Thank you

Yes, keep that unchecked. But you can enable the build permission.

Hi @lbendlin,

I've tried sharing the below 2 links with a user who isn't a member/view/contributor of the workspace but he could still see the report.

- One link was generated through 'People in your Organisation' with both settings unticked. (I knew he would be able to view the report with this link)
- The other link had both settings unticked then I generated a link via 'People with Existing access' (these tick boxes don't seem to show for this option)

Thanks

if the issue still persists you may want to consider raising a ticket.

If you have a Pro license you can open a Pro ticket at https://admin.powerplatform.microsoft.com/newsupportticket/powerbi
Otherwise you can raise an issue at https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues .

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors