Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SteveCarter1
Advocate II
Advocate II

With a PPU licence, what is my semantic model refresh timeout?

Hi

I have a PBI Pro account.

I have a very complex model and cannot use the other fabric capabilities to do transformations prior to Power BI as we do not have people with the skills to manage those other fabric systems.

My model used to refresh in 90 minutes. Due to data volume growth it now just exceeds 2 hours and PBI times out the refresh.

If I get a PPU licence, will the semantic model I publish be allowed to refresh for longer, or do I have to get Premuim capacity for a whole workspace to allow longer refresh time?

I cannot reduce dataset size as it is already limited to current financial year and that is the smallest it can be.

I have diagnosed the model. There are expensive transformations that I cannot avoid which are mostly merge operations, because the downstream systems I get the source data from are 3rd party and cannot be changed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jianpeng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @SteveCarter1 

Data refreshes for shared capacity must complete within 2 hours. If your semantic model requires longer refresh operations, consider moving your semantic model to a Premium capacity. On Premium capacity, the maximum refresh duration is 5 hours, but using the XMLA endpoint to refresh data can bypass the 5-hour limit.

The Pro license allows up to 8 refreshes per model per day, while the PPU allows up to 48 refreshes per day per model. If you need an extended refresh time, you can choose the Premium capacity or PPU that's right for you.

Here are some of the features of the PPU:

vjianpengmsft_0-1713402504228.png

When your workspace is converted to a PPU, access also has the following limitations:

vjianpengmsft_1-1713402562228.png

We encourage you to click on the links below to learn more about the differences between the licenses so that you can make a more suitable choice:

Power BI Premium Per User - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

What is Power BI Premium? - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

You can also find a comparison between several different licenses in the links below:

Pricing & Product Comparison | Microsoft Power BI

vjianpengmsft_2-1713402708544.png

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly

Best Regards

Jianpeng Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-jianpeng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @SteveCarter1 

Data refreshes for shared capacity must complete within 2 hours. If your semantic model requires longer refresh operations, consider moving your semantic model to a Premium capacity. On Premium capacity, the maximum refresh duration is 5 hours, but using the XMLA endpoint to refresh data can bypass the 5-hour limit.

The Pro license allows up to 8 refreshes per model per day, while the PPU allows up to 48 refreshes per day per model. If you need an extended refresh time, you can choose the Premium capacity or PPU that's right for you.

Here are some of the features of the PPU:

vjianpengmsft_0-1713402504228.png

When your workspace is converted to a PPU, access also has the following limitations:

vjianpengmsft_1-1713402562228.png

We encourage you to click on the links below to learn more about the differences between the licenses so that you can make a more suitable choice:

Power BI Premium Per User - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

What is Power BI Premium? - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

You can also find a comparison between several different licenses in the links below:

Pricing & Product Comparison | Microsoft Power BI

vjianpengmsft_2-1713402708544.png

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly

Best Regards

Jianpeng Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors