Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

cbschley
Helper III
Helper III

Why use Dataflows in Deployment Pipelines?

Good afternoon,

I have a set of workspaces that I created for the purpose of housing my Dataflows; one for dev, test, and prod. Is there any reason why I would want to set up the dataflows into a Deployment Pipeline? I wouldn't want to overwrite the Dataflows in Deployment Pipelines, so what is the purpose?

For example: my Dev database is pointed to my Test and Dev workspaces, and my Prod database is pointed to my Prod workspace. Therefore if the workspaces were in a deployment pipeline, wouldn't my Prod workspace just get overwriten with the Dev configuration?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PistonBroke
Regular Visitor

In a deployment pipeline, you can set rules for the data source and parameters for each dataset. So when you deploy from test to pre-prod to prod, you can change the connection string for the database connection.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PistonBroke
Regular Visitor

In a deployment pipeline, you can set rules for the data source and parameters for each dataset. So when you deploy from test to pre-prod to prod, you can change the connection string for the database connection.

How would you actually go about doing this? When I look in the deployment rules, the "Data Source Rules" are greyed out. So its a bit confusing to me. It says I can go to "artifact settings" to change the data source settings, but when I go there, I don't see an option to change the actual data source.

cbschley_0-1676997054303.png

Thank you, I'm going through that process and I do see those options. Looks like its asking me to modify the settings from the artifact settings. Will go through this process and see how it works. thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors