Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ItGoat

Whre is data stored in OneLake?

don't know if I'm in the right place with this topic, but I thought I'd give it a shot nonetheless and maybe someone can answer my question ^^

What I still don't get—and can't find anything about in the Fabric documentation—is whether the data stored in my workspace gets copied to a repository area in OneLake or is only available to others if I share it. I understand that the OneLake architecture should enable companies to get rid of their data swamps and data silos, but I'm not quite sure how this is managed here, since I can create as many workspaces as I like, and it's still a silo that no one else can access.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-tangjie-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ItGoat ,

In OneLake, data is not automatically copied to a repository area; it remains within your workspace until you decide to share it. OneLake is designed to be a single, unified, logical data lake for your entire organization, and it supports distributed ownership through workspaces¹. Each workspace can have its own administrator, access control, region, and billing capacity, allowing different parts of the organization to operate independently while still contributing to the same data lake.

To share data between different workspaces and users, OneLake uses shortcuts. These shortcuts allow you to easily share data without having to move or duplicate information unnecessarily. When teams work independently in separate workspaces, shortcuts enable you to combine data across different business groups and domains into a virtual data product to fit a user's specific needs.

So, while you can create as many workspaces as you like, and they may initially seem like silos, the architecture of OneLake and the use of shortcuts are meant to facilitate collaboration and sharing of data across the organization, effectively eliminating data swamps and silos.

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-tangjie-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ItGoat ,

In OneLake, data is not automatically copied to a repository area; it remains within your workspace until you decide to share it. OneLake is designed to be a single, unified, logical data lake for your entire organization, and it supports distributed ownership through workspaces¹. Each workspace can have its own administrator, access control, region, and billing capacity, allowing different parts of the organization to operate independently while still contributing to the same data lake.

To share data between different workspaces and users, OneLake uses shortcuts. These shortcuts allow you to easily share data without having to move or duplicate information unnecessarily. When teams work independently in separate workspaces, shortcuts enable you to combine data across different business groups and domains into a virtual data product to fit a user's specific needs.

So, while you can create as many workspaces as you like, and they may initially seem like silos, the architecture of OneLake and the use of shortcuts are meant to facilitate collaboration and sharing of data across the organization, effectively eliminating data swamps and silos.

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors