Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

schwinnen
Helper V
Helper V

Viewer Role not working for group (distribution list)

In my premium workspaces, I granted Viewer access to a Microsoft 365 distribution list.  Before rolling this out to the entire organization, I tested it out with a few employees that are members of that distribution list.  Everything worked great.  Now, those same users cannot access the reports in those workspaces. I read the documentation and don't see what could be wrong.

Does anyone know if something has changed recently?  

5 REPLIES 5
v-joesh-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @schwinnen ,

Does your dataset define RLS? Change the users' access to “Contributor” to see if it works properly, as the blog says: “Any row-level security (RLS) you have defined on the datasets in the Power BI workspace is enforced for users who only have the Viewer role. "
you need to assign a role to users to enable the RLS effect. If you do not assign detail roles to these users, they can't view correspond contents.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Joey
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-joesh-msft- our reports do use RLS, but that is not the issue in this case.  I have assigned the users a role. Prior to that, they were able to open reports, but there would be no content.  So, the RLS prevents them from seeing content within a report, but should not prevent them from opening the report.  

As an update, I opened a ticket with Microsoft.  My users seem to be able to view the content now, but they still get a popup stating that they need to sign up for Pro.  If they hit cancel, they can view the reports, but they should not be getting this message at all.  That issue is being escalated.

I'm having exactly the same problem. Is there already a solution?

@MonicaMolina - I spent hours working with tech support on this and the solution was that the Viewer role does not work for those without pro licenses if you have an embedded subscription.  It works for premium subscriptions, but not embedded.  I don't think the documentation is clear on that, but that's what was explained to me.  

If you have a premium subscription (not embedded), you should put in a ticket with Microsoft tech support because it should be working.

Thank you for your reply

We have a premium subscription.

But I believe that my case is a little different from yours. In your case, do you go directly to the workspace report?

In mine, we go to the app. The report was updated to the app. We configured role as View, but when users access to the app, they see the report, but can't see the data.

Maybe the role view doesn't work when accessing through the app as well?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors