Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

IlikePBI
Frequent Visitor

Using Python in Power BI without Personal Gateway

Hello

I need to know if :

1) we use a data source from Cloud (Snowflake, Azure SQL...), can we use Python in Power BI without using the Personal Gateway?

2) Is it possible to use python in power bi with the Enterprise gateway (without the personal one)?

Thank you so much for your help,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes! Python as a visual doesn't need a Personal Gateway. That's only for transformations.

Just be sure to read the limitations for building visuals at the cloud. You can only use the libraries listed at this doc: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-python-packages-support

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi IlikePBI. Yes you can connect cloud sources and use Python for transformations. You will need a VM with a Personal Gateway. The Enterprise gateway won't work with python.
I wouldn't recommend doing that at all. You would be download cloud source data process the python and the upload it again. It's a complete waist of dataflow. I don't think you have transformations that can't be solve with power query:

https://blog.ladataweb.com.ar/post/616019888350314496/power-query-pandas-and-sql-to-m

If you really need to use python you can even create an azure function to transform data from the source and the connect that to PowerBi to keep everything in the cloud.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Thank you ibarrau for your answer.

We want to use Python for visual matters and not data transformations. We need to replicate some "Data Science" related visuals that are not available in PBI.

Is there a way to use Python visuals without needing the Personal Gateway?

Thanks in advance,

Yes! Python as a visual doesn't need a Personal Gateway. That's only for transformations.

Just be sure to read the limitations for building visuals at the cloud. You can only use the libraries listed at this doc: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-python-packages-support

I hope that helps,

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors