Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

jconte12
Frequent Visitor

Users unable to insert table in excel from semantic model

Hello,

I have created a fairly large semantic model in power bi. My users are all very excel savvy. We have been using the get data and inserting a pivot table. The issue I am currently facing is, I have access to the insert table, but the folks I shared it with do not have access to it. Is this a licensing issues, or do I need to change their access level in the workspace?

I don't want the users to be able to modify the core dataset, but I want them to be able to select the fields they need, instead of only having access to a pivot table. As of now, the users have Read and Share permissions -- would build access change this?

jconte12_1-1705675144794.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi! Its mandatory that have at least a Contributor role in the Power BI workspace containing your semantic model.
Also dont forget for newly created semantic models, recently refreshed semantic models, or semantic models that you just got access to, it may take up to 24 hours for these semantic models to show up in the Power BI Semantic models pane.
The users would have to check after 24 hours if they are able to access it.

I hope I was able to resolve your issue. If so please mark it so it can help others as well. 😊

View solution in original post

Gayatri_D05
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi @jconte12 Another quick option you can check if users would like to work with is Analyze in Excel for whichever report that they want to use.

Gayatri_D05_0-1705682391339.png

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Gayatri_D05
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi @jconte12 Another quick option you can check if users would like to work with is Analyze in Excel for whichever report that they want to use.

Gayatri_D05_0-1705682391339.png

Gayatri_D05
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi @jconte12 ,
This is an issue I personally faced too.
So to answer you question, Firstly yes you would need to give them the access to the report/dataset.
And second one of the cons is for the users to be able to see this dataset in the excel they would have to atleast wait for 24 hours for it to reflect in the list.
Please refer to the 4th point : https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-connect-excel-power-bi-datasets...

I hope I was able to resolve your issue. If so please tag this as the answer to help others as well. 😊

Hi!

Thank you for your response! What level of access is required? Read and Build? They currently have Read and Build and aren't seeing it. If I give them modify, would that resolve it?

Hi! Its mandatory that have at least a Contributor role in the Power BI workspace containing your semantic model.
Also dont forget for newly created semantic models, recently refreshed semantic models, or semantic models that you just got access to, it may take up to 24 hours for these semantic models to show up in the Power BI Semantic models pane.
The users would have to check after 24 hours if they are able to access it.

I hope I was able to resolve your issue. If so please mark it so it can help others as well. 😊

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors