Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

WTsrnl
Frequent Visitor

Users can't see data in a report and app with a dataset that's build up from several shared datasets

I'm trying to build a report that consists of several shared datasets (that've been build by other people with lots of measures). I use the shared dataset, because it saves time copying all of the measures and it will always be up to date.

Within Power BI Desktop, everything works like I want it to, whilst using the preview feature "Direct Query for PBI datasets and AS" & "Connect to external datasets shared with me".

When I publish the report using multiple datasets within the same workspace, or with datasets from different workspaces, the report shows information for me. When my test account, with read and or app permissions on the datasets, tries to open the report page, no data is shown. The error says "Couldn't retrieve the data for this visual. Please try again later.

Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details."
WTsrnl_2-1677672744114.png

It seems like the Power BI service doesn't recognize permission levels on multiple shared datasets and therefore doesn't show any data. At least... that's my hypotheses. 

Does anyone know how to make something like this work? Something like this means:
Use multiple shared datasets within one report and publishing it into an app.
WTsrnl_1-1677672714949.png

Would love to hear if this is even possible, and if not, well... then I'll have to find a workaround.

2 REPLIES 2
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

When my test account, with read and or app permissions on the datasets

on all of them?  Can you prove that?  Did you see the "Installing app" popup for each of the apps? Or are they all set to auto install?

Shared datasets are a very nice idea.  Access administration is a nightmare.

Hi Ibendlin, first of all, thanks for replying!

Yes I can prove it, since you can only have one app per workspace and for the sake of the test, i've only tried datasets from 2 workspaces. My test account has access to both of them and even has read access on the dataset that i've used from the other workspace.

In addition, both apps are set to auto install. I even used the advice given by guy in a cube, which is explained in this video https://youtu.be/CIIzUvoUMOc

Sad part is, that they still only use one shared dataset for a single report, whilst i'm trying to use 2 shared datasets in a single report.

As I said, it is still a preview feature, so maybe they still have to fix it in the power bi service, but I'd love to know if it's something that I've done wrong.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors