Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ovidiubaciu
Regular Visitor

Unable to select Power BI hierarchy in Excel PivotTable

My Power BI report uses an import-mode connection to an Azure SQL Database. In the report, I created a 2-level hierarchy.

I published the report to Power BI Service (PPU Trial). When analyzing the published dataset in Excel, I can see the hierarchy that I created in Power BI:

ovidiubaciu_2-1679556509369.png

Howerver, when I try actually selecting the hierarchy, to include it in my PivotTable, I get the following error:

We couldn't get data from an external data source. Please try again later.
If the problem persists, please contact the administrator for the external data source.
Here is the error message that was returned from the Analysis Server named pbiazure://api.powerbi.com:

Cannot query the hierarchy because it is not processed. Please refresh or recalculate the table.

ovidiubaciu_0-1679556287721.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ovidiubaciu
Regular Visitor

I might have found a workaround for this. I renamed a bunch of stuff in Power BI (the table, the hierarchy, and the levels/dimensions of the hierarchy). I then refreshed the data source in Excel, and now I was able to select the hierarchy in my PivotTable.

However, I still don't know why the problem occurred in the first place. I even tried renaming everything back to its original name, but the issue does not reproduce.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
teegreazy
Frequent Visitor

I experienced the same error. I created a semantic model in PowerBI. Within the model I created 3 hierarchies. When I connect to the model in Excel and try to use the hierarchy dimensions I get the following error;

Cannot query the '<ccon>Product</ccon>'[<ccon>Product Hierarchy</ccon>] hierarchy because it is not processed. Please refresh or recalculate the table '<ccon>Product</ccon>'.

ovidiubaciu
Regular Visitor

I might have found a workaround for this. I renamed a bunch of stuff in Power BI (the table, the hierarchy, and the levels/dimensions of the hierarchy). I then refreshed the data source in Excel, and now I was able to select the hierarchy in my PivotTable.

However, I still don't know why the problem occurred in the first place. I even tried renaming everything back to its original name, but the issue does not reproduce.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors