Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

tonyrutt
Frequent Visitor

Time delay?

Not sure if this is even the right board to post this to, but I have a bit of an unusual request, or at least I think it is!

The use case is that users enter data in D365 CRM from which a Power BI report is produced. This is in turn shared with our customer via an external facing Teams site. The issue is that after the users enter the data, we need to check their inputs internally first before our customer sees it to ensure there are no errors. And the customer would, of course, like to see a live or regularly updated report at the same time. 

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to resolve this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

The way I've handled a similar situation is to have an internal and external copy of the same report but with different refresh patterns.

The internal copy points to a live (or frequently refreshed) dataset so that it can be checked for issues. Once the live internal copy is checked and approved, the external copy is refreshed to sync up with the approved internal copy and the external dataset is held static until the next approved refresh. This way the external user only ever sees data that has been approved.

That's the basic idea but I'm skipping over a bunch of implementation details but those are going to be highly situation-specific and may not apply to your exact situation.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
tonyrutt
Frequent Visitor

Brilliant! Thanks Alexis Olson!

AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

The way I've handled a similar situation is to have an internal and external copy of the same report but with different refresh patterns.

The internal copy points to a live (or frequently refreshed) dataset so that it can be checked for issues. Once the live internal copy is checked and approved, the external copy is refreshed to sync up with the approved internal copy and the external dataset is held static until the next approved refresh. This way the external user only ever sees data that has been approved.

That's the basic idea but I'm skipping over a bunch of implementation details but those are going to be highly situation-specific and may not apply to your exact situation.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors