Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bi_powered
Frequent Visitor

Streaming dataset unable to load data to a report created on power bi service

I have a created a streaming dataset on my power bi service, the source for which is databricks.
Now,when I provide the push URL of the streaming dataset, databricks start sending the data to power bi.

Through the data that's coming into my streaming dataset, I am able to fetch and display it on a tile created on the dashboard.
But when I try to fetch the same data by creating a report(on the power bi service) using my streaming dataset, unfortunately that data doesn't come into the report.

I am stuck because the same streaming dataset is able to display the data on a tile(created from dashboard) but unable to fetch details and display it on a report. And hence there are no doubts about the configuration of my streaming dataset/incorrect push URL insertion at databricks end.

I have other streaming datasets in my workspaces which are not behaving in this manner and hence the issue with my current streaming dataset is hard to catch.

5 REPLIES 5
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @bi_powered ,

AFAIK, current live streaming does not store pushed records to power bi dataset. (they are stored in the cache and will be clean up when they expired)

Real-time streaming in Power BI 

Spoiler

Streaming dataset

With a streaming dataset, data is also pushed into the Power BI service, with an important difference: Power BI only stores the data into a temporary cache, which quickly expires. The temporary cache is only used to display visuals which have some transient sense of history, such as a line chart that has a time window of one hour.

With a streaming dataset, there is no underlying database, so you cannot build report visuals using the data that flows in from the stream. As such, you cannot make use of report functionality such as filtering, custom visuals, and other report functions.

The only way to visualize a streaming dataset is to add a tile and use the streaming dataset as a custom streaming data data source. The custom streaming tiles that are based on a streaming dataset are optimized for quickly displaying real-time data. There is very little latency between when the data is pushed into the Power BI service and when the visual is updated, since there’s no need for the data to be entered into or read from a database.

In practice, streaming datasets and their accompanying streaming visuals are best used in situations when it is critical to minimize the latency between when data is pushed and when it is visualized. In addition, it's best practice to have the data pushed in a format that can be visualized as-is, without any additional aggregations. Examples of data that's ready as-is include temperatures, and pre-calculated averages.

I'd like to suggest you turn on the 'historic data analysis' option to record history streaming records, then you can use these historical data to create reports.

In addition, you can also create a push dataset to stored history streaming data for further analysis. (send data to push dataset after you finish send data to the streaming dataset)

Push data into a Power BI dataset 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for your prompt support, but the historical data analysis has already been turned on.
Ultimately the report visual  I'll create through the streaming dataset, will be pinned to my dashboard to stream the live data for the plotted values.

This is the reason I explicitly mentioned that I am facing this issue with streaming dataset report creation for the first time, given that I've created reports with other streaming datasets in the past, the visuals from which have been pinned to the dashboard to stream real-time data successfully.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Is this only for the databricks sourced streaming dataset?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Ahh yes ! As of now the source for my streaming dataset is databricks.
In the past the databricks sourced streaming dataset worked well for us, given we were able to create reports/ add live tile to dashboard with the data(historical data analysis:ON) on the power bi service

PS : Haven't tested the streaming dataset functionality with another data source.

HI @bi_powered,

So you are working with azure streaming directly instead push data through power bi streaming dataset API?

Stream Analytics and Power BI: A real-time analytics dashboard for streaming data 

If this is a case, I'd like to suggest you push data to API to confirm if this issue is more related to azure streaming analysis.
You can contact azure support to confirm the historical data mode recorded issue if this issue does not appear on a normal streaming dataset. (power bi service dataset are host on azure blob storage)
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors