Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

olimilo
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Streaming Dataset from a JSON API

Hi everyone,

So we are pulling data from a websource using a JSON API. However, the data that we get from the JSON API is not laid out in a flat file-like structure but has columns that look like the one below:

data
{List}
1/1/2020

Passed

So basically, I have to transform the data first to get it to something more usable. My question is, the PBI streaming dataset looks like it requires to have your file in a flat file-like structure. Since my data isn't flat file-like in the first place, how can I achieve a streaming dataset with my data?

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@olimilo - Use Azure Streaming Analytics to transform your data prior to getting to Power BI.

Follow on LinkedIn
@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi @Greg_Deckler @amitchandak 

I tried refreshing the data using the dataset tab in the PBI service and got this error: Query contains unsupported function. Function name: Web.Contents.

Which is funny because when I refreshed the data in PBI desktop, the refresh went without a hitch. Will this have any bearing on us trying to achieve a realtime connection to our data? This is the connector that I used:

= Json.Document(Web.Contents(JSONSourceURL, [Timeout=#duration(0, 0, 30, 0), Headers=[#"User-Agent"="Power BI", Accept="application/jsonapi", #"Content-Type"="application/json", Authorization="..."]]))

Edit: I saw on the reference page below that JSON data sources does not support DirectQuery/Live connection - does that mean that we're out of options in this case? Or is it not possible for us to schedule data refreshes?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/power-bi-data-sources

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

July Newsletter

Fabric Community Update - July 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.