Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Yousra
Advocate I
Advocate I

Snapshot of data

Hello, my requirement is to be able to save the past state of an entity at a certain point of time. Currently when the dataflow is refreshed, the past state is lost and only the current one is displayed. Is there a way to do it? I tried setting up the incremental refresh but not sure if it fits the requirement.

The ideal would be having the table with a column snapshot date that is populated by the current refresh time and at each refresh this table will be populated by new rows and a new refresh time instead of replacing all the rows.

3 REPLIES 3
selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @Yousra ,

you could set it up in the dataflow with incremental refresh, but you can never really change anything or all the historic data will be lost. So I'm not a big fan of handling snapshots with incremental refresh, because from my point of view it's not a stable solution

What exactly is your data source? If it's a SQL database just create a job that is loading your data once per day into another table with an additional "LoadDate" column. Like this you have the history on a daily basis available. Also when you want to change something in the future that is then possible.

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

Thank you for your answer. 

Can you please tell me how can I do it with incremental refresh? I've tried adding a loadDate column but at each refresh it gets replaced.

The datasource is Salesforce so there is no SQL Database

Hi @Yousra ,

The incremental refresh for dataflow only works for power bi premium. And you can follow the steps in https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/dataflows/incremental-refresh 

And you can create two entities in one dataflow one for transcational data and the other fot historical data . For more details, please refer to https://visualbi.com/blogs/microsoft/powerbi/historical-data-preservation-using-power-bi-dataflow/

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors