Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jmillar
Helper I
Helper I

Slow Service visual

Hi all;

I'm having some difficulty with the following visual:

jmillar_0-1639659580887.png

There are a few other measures as well.  Originally this was a composite model with direct query components (the mandate is a near-time OEE view for the current production day) but for troubleshooting purposes I've convert it all to Import.  The entire data set is maybe 1200 records (max).  In Desktop, the visuals all refresh pretty snappily (1-2 second update time).  In the service, though, they seem to take longer.  There are several visuals on the page, and most update in under 5 seconds which I consider acceptable.  The table shown above, though, can take upwards of 4 minutes!

I'm at a loss to troubleshoot further to explain why local performance in desktop is acceptable, while performance in the service (both browser and mobile app) are abysmal.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

UPDATE: I believe I've narrowed this down to the conditional formatting on the matrix.  Remove that, and it speeds up.  The conditional formatting is set using field values, though, as the stoplight thresholds don't have static targets -- they need to be calculated.  Has anyone else experienced this and/or found a solution?

Thanks,

Jason

8 REPLIES 8
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Use DAX Studio to evaluate the queries generated by this visual.

Thanks @lbendlin -- I had actually started down that road.  I grabbed the DAX generated by the visual, and when I run timing against that in DAX Studio results return in ~300-400 ms, which is what I'd consider acceptable.  However, I'm new to trying to performance tune models -- most of ours have been relatively straightfoward that, for the most part, "just behave".

Is your data source in Import mode or direct Query? Any gateway involved?

@lbendlin There is a gateway involved.  Originally the solution was in DirectQuery mode, but for troubleshooting purposes I've switched it to Import with an hourly refresh schedule just to eliminate gateway bottlenecks, etc....

Do you know if Query caching is enabled in your tenant?

That I'm not sure about, although I can check.  Is that something that you'd advise trying?  I haven't dealt with that before so should I be concerned about:

• Adverse affects on other solutions in the tenant
  • Any caching, given the original scope requirement was near-time data

Thanks, by the way, for your assistance with this.

When you examined the DAX query in DAX Studio did you do that against the local dataset on the Power BI Desktop or against the XMLA endpoint in the service?  I would recommend to do the latter so you get a more realistic reading on the performance.

Now that you mention it, I believe I was using the Desktop version.  Let me try it against the endpoint and see what that shows.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors