Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

KilJhard
Frequent Visitor

Single Line Chart with multiple Colours

Hello all and HAPPY FRIDAY!!!

I'm trying to create a line chart with a single line that has multiple colours to it.  Ie.  If the line goes up, its red, line goes down, its green, flat lined, yellow!  I was expecting this would be as simple as changing the colours and setting up a conditional format like you can with the bar graphs buuuuuuuut, I'm only seeing a single colour selection for line charts.

Am I missing something here because this is something I thought was fairly common when it came to line charts!  

Thnks for the response and have an awesome weekend!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @KilJhard 

According to my research and testing, there is currently no official visual that supports dividing a line into multiple colors in a line chart in different situations, but as far as I know, the color of the data label corresponding to each line chart's data point is variable, you can simply refer to this example demo: you can first use your line according to your needs Write a measure in the context of the chart grouping to define the corresponding color for each data point, and then create a simple column chart:

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1678674012108.png

Then under Data colors, set up conditional formatting on the bars:

vyueyunzhmsft_1-1678674029886.png

The result is like this:

vyueyunzhmsft_2-1678674042356.png

Now switch the visual to a line chart.

vyueyunzhmsft_3-1678674058714.png

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @KilJhard 

According to my research and testing, there is currently no official visual that supports dividing a line into multiple colors in a line chart in different situations, but as far as I know, the color of the data label corresponding to each line chart's data point is variable, you can simply refer to this example demo: you can first use your line according to your needs Write a measure in the context of the chart grouping to define the corresponding color for each data point, and then create a simple column chart:

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1678674012108.png

Then under Data colors, set up conditional formatting on the bars:

vyueyunzhmsft_1-1678674029886.png

The result is like this:

vyueyunzhmsft_2-1678674042356.png

Now switch the visual to a line chart.

vyueyunzhmsft_3-1678674058714.png

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Thanks @v-yueyunzh-msft I had a feeling that was the case but just strange that it's not possible.  Obviously something thats used reguarlly of line charts on a wide range of other applications.  People love colours and seeing them change! 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors