Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lava_
Helper I
Helper I

Should dataflows live in the same workspace as semantic models?

We're in the process of doing implementation planning for an enterprise self-service BI initiative. We've read that it's best practice to use a dataflow inside of a semantic model, but I'm having difficulty finding an answer about where the two ojects should reside in PBI service. Should they be in the same workspace or should all dataflows be in one workspace and semantic models in another?

Also, I know dataflows that reference other dataflows should be in the same workspace as it creates a downstream orchestration of refreshes. But what about semantic models that use dataflows? If they should be in the same workspace, if the dataflow is refreshed (on a schedule), does that automatically refresh the semantic model that's using that dataflow?

Any articles/videos/insight that could be shared would be appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3
aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @lava_ 

Dataflows are generally speaking sources of truth and meant for reusable purposes. So it's better to keep them in a secure and separate workspace. Know also that one Dataflow can be the source for one or multiple semantic models in different Workspaces.

The refresh process is not related, for semantic models the refresh should trigger after the related Dataflow has completed its refresh.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

my personal recommendation is that things should be grouped logically to do the the refreshing efficiently but also only giving access to what is required, so that it can be managed and governed easily.  Each situation could be different.

It just depends on how far upstream the data is and if your workspace is operating like a company wide shared data store, then yes probably best to  separate out the layers logically.   

But if you have a smaller data project it might make sense to keep them all grouped together.

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Thank you. Yes, our workspace will essentially be operating like a company wide shared data store. When you say grouped logically, do you mean, for example, grouping the dataflows that reference one another in one workspace, grouping semantic models that fall under domain A in a workspace A, and grouping semantic models that domain B in workspace B? Something like that?

I was also thinking we could use the OneLake data hub to act as the "data store" as a way to have everything in one place and promote certain dataflows and semantic models. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors