Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ruiz07s
Regular Visitor

Scheduled Refresh not updating with latest data despite refresh completing sucessfully

Hi everyone, long-time Power BI user. I have a Data Flow which connects to SQL Server with Gateway. This Data Flow is setup with Scheduled Refresh which successfully completes each morning. The issue I have is my Dataset published in Service (which uses the before-mentioned Data Flow as a source) does not pick up updates. When I refresh the report manually in Desktop however, I can see the updates which means the Data Flow does indeed refresh as expected. The issue I believe lies with Service / or the dataset in Service. Anyone have any ideas or encountered a similar issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi , @ruiz07s 

According to your description, your dataset is connected to your Dataflow, and you configured your dataset refresh correctly an hour after the DataFlow refresh was completed. And the dataset refresh was successful.
Under normal circumstances, this should not be a problem. First of all, you need to check if your dataflow has new data generated, you can enter your dataflow after your dataflow has been successfully refreshed to see if new data has been generated.

Secondly, can you check if some functions that generate today's date are used in your dataset? Because scheduled refresh in Power BI Service is using the UTC+0 time zone. If so, you can connect to your dataflow directly using the Dataset, then publish and refresh it to see if the refreshed data is the latest data.

Finally, you need to check if refresh for that query is enabled in your Power Query.

For more information, you can refer to :
Managing query refresh - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @ruiz07s 

According to your problem description, your dataset is connected to a dataflow created in a service, and the scheduled refresh of the dataflow is normal every day, but the data in your dataset is not refreshed, and you can refresh the data normally on the desktop. I think the root cause of your problem is that you didn't configure scheduled refresh for this dataset, because even if your dataflow data is kept up to date every day, your dataset needs to be refreshed periodically to get the latest data from the dataflow. So my point is that you only need to configure credentials for your dataset and turn on scheduled refresh to keep your data up to date every day.

How to configure Power BI report scheduled refresh - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Hi Aniya, thanks for your reply. Please let me clarify, I do in fact have the dataset refreshing on a daily schedule that's timed for 1hr following the dataflow refreshes. The issue is the dataset is not actually refreshing, despite the refresh showing as successful. Even if I choose on-demand refresh multiple times, it does not pull in the updated data from the dataflows. Is there anything else it could be?

Hi, have you figured out a solution for this problem? I am having the same issue and was wondering if you could share any insights. Thanks!

Hi , @ruiz07s 

According to your description, your dataset is connected to your Dataflow, and you configured your dataset refresh correctly an hour after the DataFlow refresh was completed. And the dataset refresh was successful.
Under normal circumstances, this should not be a problem. First of all, you need to check if your dataflow has new data generated, you can enter your dataflow after your dataflow has been successfully refreshed to see if new data has been generated.

Secondly, can you check if some functions that generate today's date are used in your dataset? Because scheduled refresh in Power BI Service is using the UTC+0 time zone. If so, you can connect to your dataflow directly using the Dataset, then publish and refresh it to see if the refreshed data is the latest data.

Finally, you need to check if refresh for that query is enabled in your Power Query.

Managing query refresh - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors