Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

southwood
Frequent Visitor

Restricting workspace non-Admin roles from adding users

We need to have tight control over the users viewing specific workspace content and want to restrict the ability to add users to only the Admin role. Is there a way to disable the "add users" capability from the Member and Contributor roles?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @southwood ,

There is currently no way for this to be done - the roles are set and hardcoded right now.    This sounds like a great idea though - maybe you can search and see if one similar to this exists, or add your own and let us know the link so we can vote for it - https://ideas.powerbi.com/

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @southwood 

As far as I’m concerned, only members in the new workspace can add members or others with lower permissions to the workspace, and contributors can add others to the workspace.

v-robertq-msft_0-1616661985847.png

As collinq said, the roles in new workspace are hardcoded right now and you can’t change it. Therefore, I think the temporary solution to this problem can be adding these users with the “contributor” role to this workspace, which can also obtain the most permissions of “member” role without “adding roles”

More info about roles in the new workspaces

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

You have to have some users in the Member role to be able to create an app for the workspace.

Hi, @southwood 

Yes, only members and admins of the workspace can create an APP. But once an App is created, the contributors can also update the APP if they are allowed to.

v-robertq-msft_0-1616740895251.png

v-robertq-msft_1-1616740895263.png

Therefore, I think the “Contributor” role is good enough to meet your requirement.😂

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @southwood ,

When you share the report, uncheck the option for the users that you are sharing with to re-share.

collinq_0-1616516653579.png

Proud to be a Datanaut!

This doesn't address the main topic which is allowing the MEMBER role adding users to the workspace itself giving them access to all content.

Hi @southwood ,

There is currently no way for this to be done - the roles are set and hardcoded right now.    This sounds like a great idea though - maybe you can search and see if one similar to this exists, or add your own and let us know the link so we can vote for it - https://ideas.powerbi.com/

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors