Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

littlemojopuppy
Community Champion
Community Champion

Restrict Composite Models on Specific Datasets

Good afternoon!

I recently had a user create a composite model with one of our "enterprise" datsets.  Got the person on a call and reviewed with him what he was trying to do: limit what was in the model to just the data in his Excel file.  One of the first things he said was "I'm new to his role and to Power BI and have no idea what he was doing"  🙄  Googled and found instructions on how to create composite models and tried it out.  To join data from the model to his Excel file:

1. He created a concatenated field of Customer and Item from the fact table (about 586M records)
  2. Distinct values from #1 (about 92M records)
  3. Top 500 of those, which requires sorting those 92M records

He managed to auto-scale a P3 all by himself.  Politely asked him to never do that again, and to contact me if he wanted some help with this in the future.  But...this made my biggest fear come to fruition.  We have a set of users who have been asking to combine data from multiple enterprise datasets (for example, "Sales" and "Inventory").  Merging those two models was always my nightmare scenario...and in reality, it took much less to make my fears come true.

We're exploring dataflows to provide the ability of users to pick and choose what data they want to pull into models, which seem promising.  But we still have the problem of composite models.  We've been able to get a count of about 150 composite models (defined as having both Import and Direct Query data sources) in our tenant.  As best as I've been able to find, restricting composite models comes down to tenant-wide settings that allow this:

• Yes
  • Yes, but only for certain users.
  • No

Because we already have a fairly large number of composite models being used, we may not be able to just turn them off, or even restrict usage to certain users.  Furthermore, for some things like real-time data, a composite model might be the only way to get what the users want.

All of that is background for my question: does anyone know if there is a way to restrict the ability to use specific datasets in a composite model.  Where we would be able to somehow mark our "enterprise" datasets that would prevent users from creating a composite model with them?  Anyone???

@parry2k  @Greg_Deckler  @amitchandak  @AllisonKennedy 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @littlemojopuppy 

As far as I know there is no way to do this on specific datasets. I would vote for an idea at https://ideas.powerbi.com

Possibly others have a solution.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
littlemojopuppy
Community Champion
Community Champion

For anyone who comes across this in the future, it would be helpful if you could vote for this idea!

Microsoft Idea (powerbi.com)

littlemojopuppy
Community Champion
Community Champion

@GilbertQ I appreciate you taking the time 😉

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @littlemojopuppy 

As far as I know there is no way to do this on specific datasets. I would vote for an idea at https://ideas.powerbi.com

Possibly others have a solution.

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ 

I've followed your blog and plagarized followed your guidance with several things in the past couple years.  I feel pretty comfortable with if you don't think it's possible, then it's not possible.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

-David

Hi @littlemojopuppy 

LOL, thanks for your support and yeah currently I cannot think of any way to get this working!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors