Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

karo
Post Patron
Post Patron

Reserved Capacity for Premium Workspaces vs Shared Capacity?

Hi,

In Admin Monitoring > Feature Usage and Adoption > Activity Overview > Most Active Capacities I can see capacities as NA, "list of" Premium Capacities, Reserved Capacity for Premium Workspaces and Shared Capacity.

I am wonder if anyone can explain the difference between Reserved Capacity for Premium Workspaces vs Shared Capacity ?

Regards,

Karo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Idrissshatila
Super User
Super User

Hello @karo ,

Reserved Capacity for Premium Workspaces:

1. Dedicated Resources:

• Description: With Reserved Capacity, organizations can allocate dedicated and exclusive resources (CPU and memory) to a specific Premium workspace.
    • Usage: Ideal for scenarios where consistent and predictable performance is critical. It ensures that the assigned resources are always available for the designated workspace.
  2. Performance Isolation:

• Description: Provides a high level of performance isolation because the dedicated resources are reserved exclusively for the assigned workspace.
    • Usage: Suitable for large enterprises or organizations with heavy Power BI usage, ensuring that critical reports and dashboards consistently perform well.
  3. Fixed Cost:

• Description: Reserved Capacity comes with a fixed cost, as organizations are billed based on the capacity they reserve.
    • Usage: Beneficial for organizations with a clear understanding of their Power BI usage patterns and a need for stable and consistent performance.

Shared Capacity:

1. Shared Resources:

• Description: Shared Capacity, on the other hand, involves sharing resources among multiple workspaces within the same capacity.
    • Usage: Suited for scenarios where the level of usage may vary, and organizations want to optimize costs by sharing resources among different workspaces.
  2. Variable Performance:

• Description: The performance may vary based on the usage patterns of other workspaces sharing the same capacity. During peak times, there might be contention for resources.
    • Usage: Recommended for smaller organizations or scenarios where cost optimization is a priority, and variations in performance are acceptable.
  3. Cost Flexibility:

• Description: Shared Capacity offers more flexibility in costs, as organizations are billed based on usage rather than reserving dedicated resources.
    • Usage: Suitable for organizations that have fluctuating Power BI usage and want to control costs based on actual consumption.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos
Follow me on LinkedIn linkedIn
Vote for my Community Mobile App Idea

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Idrissshatila
Super User
Super User

Hello @karo ,

Reserved Capacity for Premium Workspaces:

1. Dedicated Resources:

• Description: With Reserved Capacity, organizations can allocate dedicated and exclusive resources (CPU and memory) to a specific Premium workspace.
    • Usage: Ideal for scenarios where consistent and predictable performance is critical. It ensures that the assigned resources are always available for the designated workspace.
  2. Performance Isolation:

• Description: Provides a high level of performance isolation because the dedicated resources are reserved exclusively for the assigned workspace.
    • Usage: Suitable for large enterprises or organizations with heavy Power BI usage, ensuring that critical reports and dashboards consistently perform well.
  3. Fixed Cost:

• Description: Reserved Capacity comes with a fixed cost, as organizations are billed based on the capacity they reserve.
    • Usage: Beneficial for organizations with a clear understanding of their Power BI usage patterns and a need for stable and consistent performance.

Shared Capacity:

1. Shared Resources:

• Description: Shared Capacity, on the other hand, involves sharing resources among multiple workspaces within the same capacity.
    • Usage: Suited for scenarios where the level of usage may vary, and organizations want to optimize costs by sharing resources among different workspaces.
  2. Variable Performance:

• Description: The performance may vary based on the usage patterns of other workspaces sharing the same capacity. During peak times, there might be contention for resources.
    • Usage: Recommended for smaller organizations or scenarios where cost optimization is a priority, and variations in performance are acceptable.
  3. Cost Flexibility:

• Description: Shared Capacity offers more flexibility in costs, as organizations are billed based on usage rather than reserving dedicated resources.
    • Usage: Suitable for organizations that have fluctuating Power BI usage and want to control costs based on actual consumption.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos
Follow me on LinkedIn linkedIn
Vote for my Community Mobile App Idea

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors