Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Kletzy
Advocate III
Advocate III

Query contains unsupported function. Function name: Resource.Access

My data refreshes have been working smoothly but have been giving various issues since the weekend. The desktop refresh works fine.  I also suddenly can't see options for credentials or for the Gateway that is in place. I have been having service issues since Saturday morning when first the custom connectors failed for 24 hours, then started working again, this morning the Gateway wasn't being seen by the service then briefly came back and now I can't do any refreshes at all. I suspect its something to do with the Nov release?

I receive the following message:

You can't schedule refresh for this dataset because the following data sources currently don't support refresh:

• Data source for Query1

Query contains unsupported function. Function name: Resource.Access

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-mengzhu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi all,

Get the latest feedback:

This issue has been deployed and validated.

PROD - 11.4 QFE –12/10 and 12/11 - Sat with US clusters- Sunday.

Best regards,

Community Support Team Selina zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

78 REPLIES 78
dp410
Advocate II
Advocate II

Also resolved for me after publishing the dataset again today. 

alamp
Frequent Visitor

Reloved for me. MariaDB refreshing fine. But hope this issue never comes up again. 

RichDahuss

Same issue here scince friday with python scripts inside Power Query. Please inform when is going to be fixed. 

dp410
Advocate II
Advocate II

I just spoke to Microsoft support and having spoken with the product team they have said the fix should be in place by the end of the second week of december (18th). Please note we are based in the UK. 

etsdashboard

I am also having same issue, could you please anyone help me

Please read all the message, I think you will find information

nesselman
Helper I
Helper I

This seems to be the prominent thread regarding this type of problem.  So I want to add my observations in-case each of your situations are similiar:

I reported the following symptoms:

1) It only impacts Refreshes that have been Published AFTER 12/2

2) It Refreshes fine on Desktop

3) Anything Published before 12/2 (for me that is the date I noticed it) continues to Auto Refresh

4) It is isolated to a 3rd party ODBC Connector from CData that is not new (been using for 3 years)

5) We use qty of 3 Connectors from CData - they all have the same issue

6) MySQL, Web, Native Google Analytics all work

It is not just isolated to the CData connector. We have internal custom connectors which are being affected as well. I guess the problem is related to something specific with custom connectors in general. 

This is a global Microsoft error.

Power BI customers trying to configure credentials for datasets using Gateway may see the following error message "Query contains unsupported function. Function name: Resource.Access". Engineers are investigating the issue and an update will be provided soon.

and we receive this message on our Microsoft ticket :

Current status : We’ve completed deploying the fix to one of our testing environments for further validation before we continue with the remaining deployment.

Scope of the impact : Your organization is affected and any user attempting to configure dataset configurations using a gateway is impacted. 

Root cause :  A recent service update contained a code error, preventing some dataset configuration requests from completing as expected, resulting in impact.

Support | Microsoft Power BI

v-mengzhu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi all,

Get the latest feedback:

This issue has been deployed and validated.

PROD - 11.4 QFE –12/10 and 12/11 - Sat with US clusters- Sunday.

Best regards,

Community Support Team Selina zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Hi,

it works for me too since this mornig. I just click on Discover Data Sources and the gateway option is available again and I can attach the gateway to my datasource.

Refresh works with Python extension data source on Power BI Service. Thanks for the fix.

I just checked and also in Europe the fix is working. I can Refresh it. I had to go into settings of my dataset and hit "Discover Data Sources" to be able to connect to the gateway. I only had to indicate for my Dataset which gateway to use. But that was minor effort and also I had to set the refersh schedule again.

I have redeployed the dataset today and the refresh finally works again. With us it is a custom denodo connector.

I can confirm that. Works now again for my costum connector as well.

Personally, I think Microsoft really dropped the ball on this one - it took 5 days from when I initially posted the issue for it to be acknowledged on the support page - this has been a major problem for many of us.

Absolutely agree. This was worryingly underrated. The PBI service and the gateways should be considered as one. I don't know what kind of company has established a direct communication between their production data servers and the Power BI service, in my case and probably in many entities that value the security of their clients, that will never happen. Therefore, the only way we have to implement the Power BI service is through the gateways, it's just this, without gateways there is no service. So what do they mean when they report that everything is running smoothly, except for an irrelevant issue with the gateways? And the week to solve it... 

I got other information from Microsoft. What is now correct!?

PG has recently confirmed that the fix will be deployed during train 12.2 or 12.4 (12.3 was cancelled) roughly they said it will be deployed between end of December or early January. Unfortunately, there is no workaround provided so far.

We will keep you posted if there will be anything Product group would share for partial mitigation or workaround to be used before the fix will be deployed.

I don't think that this issue is being taken with the severity level it really has. How many of us/our companies are paying for this service and depending on this connectors to feed all our information systems. How can they inform that the "Service Status Per Region" is "Good"? Isn't it the Gateway part of the "Service"?

I'm with Western Europe (Netherlands) server. The status is "...error message "Query contains unsupported function. Function name: Resource.Access". Engineers have identified the root cause and a fix is expected to be deployed by end-of-day 12/11/2022."

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors