Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ZikoPowerBI
Helper II
Helper II

Query Folding issue with Incremental Load on Service

Hi ,

Iam facing an issue in query folding with Incremental load parameters RangeStart and RangeEnd . 

Whenever , I refresh the data in Power BI desktop the query folding shows appropriate values in where clause of the query that is set in parameters default value. However , when I deploy the same report to PBI service the query folding takes random values in parameters and this caluses the issue. Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

It's not random values - the Power BI service is managing the partitions according to your guidelines.  The values you had specified for RangeStart and RangeEnd in Power Query have nothing much to do with the actual process - you can use them to limit your developer working data set, but the values will be ignored by the service.

Hi @lbendlin  Thanks for the prompt response!

Can you please help to put some light on how Power BI service is managing the partitions according to the incremental refresh guidelines?

any document / blog for reference can also be helpful.

Thanks!

Hi  ,

We observed that it is generating partitions with 0 rows in SSMS. I also tried a thread which says that we have to use Date >= RangeStart and Date < RangeEnd this also did not work.

We observed that it is generating partitions with 0 rows in SSMS. 

Good observation, but not an issue.  Just means you have no data for that range.

I also tried a thread which says that we have to use Date >= RangeStart and Date < RangeEnd this also did not work.

That thread is correct. Please qualify "did not work".

Hi - 

There is data in the database for those dates /range , but the partitions are blank which eventually shows no data for those dates in the report.

Please advice

Please show a sanitized version of your Power Query code.  If you can, show a picture of the partitions you observe in SSMS or DAX Studio.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors