Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

johnf
Helper I
Helper I

Problems authenticating data source with Azure SQL Data Warehouse (SQL DW)

Hi.

I'm having an issue where I have established a connection to a Azure SQL DW instance with Power BI desktop and the credentials are working in desktop.

When I publish to PBI Service it asks for the credentials again for the data source. I've used all assigned accounts and up to the DB Admin but no joy. I keep getting "The credentials you provided for the data source are invalid. Please check the credentials for all the data sources."

I have also logged in to the SQL DW instance and tried the direct attach method from there, going back to Power BI Service (it connects and displays fields but when I tried building a report in PBI Service I get

"Couldn't load the data for this visual Couldn't retrieve the data for this visual. Please try again later.
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details"

I'm stumped, what am I missing?

Cheers,

John.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@johnf

In this scenario, please check if you allow Azure Service Access on Azure Portal. You must have it enabled, otherwise it will always throw "invalid credential error" even you provide correct credential.

Regards,

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
johnf
Helper I
Helper I

Hi.

I'm having an issue where I have established a connection to a Azure SQL DW instance with Power BI desktop and the credentials are working in desktop.

When I publish to PBI Service it asks for the credentials again for the data source. I've used all assigned accounts and up to the DB Admin but no joy. I keep getting "The credentials you provided for the data source are invalid. Please check the credentials for all the data sources."

I have also logged in to the SQL DW instance and tried the direct attach method from there, going back to Power BI Service (it connects and displays fields but when I tried building a report in PBI Service I get

"Couldn't load the data for this visual Couldn't retrieve the data for this visual. Please try again later.
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details"

I'm stumped, what am I missing?

Cheers,

John.

@johnf

In this scenario, please check if you allow Azure Service Access on Azure Portal. You must have it enabled, otherwise it will always throw "invalid credential error" even you provide correct credential.

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors