Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

thampton
Helper III
Helper III

Problem with RLS on power bi service

Hello - i have just started using RLS and i have gotten it to work a few times, but this time i am running into issues.

I have a model, containing a few tables, each with a column containing an email address. I added the RLS on desktop with [emailaddresscolumn] = userprincipalname(). Then i add each user to the security settings on power bi service.

For me, it worked, for the person next to me it did not. I double checked they had values in all tables and were added in both desktop and service security settings.

Any ideas?

4 REPLIES 4
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @thampton,

Has your issue been solved? If so, kindly mark my answer as a solution to close the case. If any other question, feel free to let me know please.

Regards,
Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

For me, it worked, for the person next to me it did not. I double checked they had values in all tables and were added in

Hi @thampton,

What did you mean? The user can view everything or nothing? What's the role of the uers? Actually If you publish your Power BI Desktop report to an app workspace within the Power BI service, the roles will be applied to read-only members. You will need to indicate that members can only view Power BI content within the app workspace settings.

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.
blopez11
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

If you could show a sample, anonymized, of the tables, along with the roles created and the associated dax, I might be able to help, as we have been able to implement both RLS and dynamic RLS Thanks,

Sure, i can draw it out below.

Table 1 - Username/Email address

Username           Email

Jane Doe                   jdoe@email.com

Table 2

Order # (and other columns)         Username            Email

12345                                             Jane Doe             jdoe@email.com (merged from above)

Table 3 - pretty similar to table 2 with the email column merged to the end.

RLS In Desktop - I filter every table with the email address column using [Email] = USERPRINCIPALNAME()

RLS on Service - Go to dataset, security option, then add the users by email address.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors