Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

JV90
Regular Visitor

PowerBI translating my data unasked

I design my reports in PowerBI desktop with language English. I then upload the report to the PowerBI service, which has the Dutch language enabled by my organisation. I have a column which contains the order status in English, so I set a filter on the report to exclude status 'Cancelled'. When I then upload the report to the service it automatically changes the status names to Dutch in my data. So the Data says 'Geannuleerd' (Cancelled in Dutch), but my filter is still looking to exclude 'Cancelled', which means the filter is useless.

Is there a way for me to stop PowerBI from translating my data automatically? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-nuoc-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JV90 

Power BI provides localization capabilities to convert the Power BI service interface, including menus, buttons, and messages, to the language of your organization or browser settings.

However, it is important to note that Power BI does not automatically convert data in reports. The data remains unchanged when it is entered or imported into Power BI Desktop or Power BI Services.

Your problem may be related to how the dataset or source system handles localization or language settings.

Try the following to resolve the issue:

Check the language settings of the data source. Ensure that the data source does not automatically convert values based on user locale settings or language settings.

Although Power BI Services language settings primarily affect the interface and not the data, it is a good idea to review these settings.

Supported languages and countries/regions for Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Regards,

Nono Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-nuoc-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JV90 

Power BI provides localization capabilities to convert the Power BI service interface, including menus, buttons, and messages, to the language of your organization or browser settings.

However, it is important to note that Power BI does not automatically convert data in reports. The data remains unchanged when it is entered or imported into Power BI Desktop or Power BI Services.

Your problem may be related to how the dataset or source system handles localization or language settings.

Try the following to resolve the issue:

Check the language settings of the data source. Ensure that the data source does not automatically convert values based on user locale settings or language settings.

Although Power BI Services language settings primarily affect the interface and not the data, it is a good idea to review these settings.

Supported languages and countries/regions for Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Regards,

Nono Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

tharunkumarRTK
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@JV90 
What is the culture in your data model and in the browser that you are using?

The Data model in cosmos is mixed language, as there some addresses and company names from around europe. The browser I am using is chrome in Dutch. These settings are sort of company default, and I want each reader of the report to have the same report regardless of language.

@JV90 
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guidance/multiple-language-locale#load-a-report-in-power-...

I asked for the semantic model culture, but not about the database. Anyways,
By default, Power BI considers the bowser language settings and presents the data model metadata accordingly. I would suggest you to change the accept header in the URL as suggested in the above document and check if the browser settings are causing this issue.

If the post helps please give a thumbs up

If it solves your issue, please accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Tharun

I tried this approach, but the translated values are still there, even when I made the page language French the Dutch values were still there. I suspect microsoft is looking at the tenant language instead of the page. But would there be a setting somehwere that disallows PowerBI from translating/converting data without permission?

@JV90 
I dont think either your tenant location or your tenant settings caused this problem. 

If the post helps please give a thumbs up

If it solves your issue, please accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Tharun

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors