Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

TagMan
Regular Visitor

PowerBI desktop with files stored in Sharepoint - published to Power BI service-Automate refreshes?

Hello smart folks, 

I have used PBD to create reports and reference a dataset on a sharepoint site (as files). It was simple enough to publish to the service. But, how can I ensure that the data on the service is refreshed? The dataset (files) on my sharepoint site is updated daily...and going to powerbi desktop to refresh then republish it doesn't seem optimal. 

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
TagMan
Regular Visitor

Essentially, currently, everytime I want the data refreshed, I have to refresh it on desktop, then republish...

TagMan
Regular Visitor

I might not be telling you something correctly - but, after I published it from desktop - then try to refresh - I get an error "Something went wrong" Please make sure your data gatweay (personal mode) is installed and configured properly. Processing error: Please make sure your data gateway (personal mode) is installed and configured properly.
Cluster URI: WABI-US-CENTRAL-B-PRIMARY-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID: 4ec2c544-d91a-4fbf-aa0e-ddfd6ff53e5f
Request ID: 5fb96a76-c55f-6ff8-f061-5459ca5243cd
Time: 2022-10-04 15:05:05Z

v-yadongf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @TagMan ,

Please refer to:Use OneDrive for Business links in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best regards,

Yadong Fang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

ppm1
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

If you built your report from data stored in files stored on SharePoint, after you publish the report, you can set up Scheduled Refresh on your dataset at the desired frequency. Note you will likely need to update your credentials in that interface too (once).

Configure scheduled refresh - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Pat

Microsoft Employee
TagMan
Regular Visitor

Thank you for your feedback! I appreciate it. I guess when I publish it to app.powerbi.com it doesn't recognize that the dataset is in sharepoint. I don't see the options you stated. Is there a different way to get it from desktop to the online service that I should use? 

v-yadongf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @TagMan ,

If you created your datasets and reports based on a Power BI Desktop file, Excel workbook, or comma separated value (.csv) file on OneDrive or SharePoint Online, Power BI performs another type of refresh, known as OneDrive refresh. 

Unlike a dataset refresh during which Power BI imports data from a data source into a dataset, OneDrive refresh synchronizes datasets and reports with their source files. By default, Power BI checks about every hour if a dataset connected to a file on OneDrive or SharePoint Online requires synchronization.

The dataset settings page only shows the OneDrive Credentials and OneDrive refresh sections if the dataset is connected to a file in OneDrive or SharePoint Online, as in the following screenshot. Datasets that aren't connected to sources file in OneDrive or SharePoint Online don't show these sections.

vyadongfmsft_0-1664419681489.png

For more information, please refer to: Data refresh in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best regards,

Yadong Fang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors