Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

dc7669
Resolver I
Resolver I

PowerBI Report refresh issue

Hi all,

I have a PowerBI Report that is scheduled to refresh once a day. 

In the last few days, there are issues with the update that it could not complete.

So, I added another update time 30 minutes later.  In the last few days, one of these two updates would run successfully.

Then, today, both refreshes FAILED!  

I tried refresh manually and still could not succeed.

Then, I downloaded the PBIX file to my computer, used PowerBI Desktop to refresh locally and then uploaded to PowerBI Service. 

This updated the Refresh time of the report to current, but in Refresh History, it still showed that the update failed. 

When I looked at the the error message, the point of failure is not the same all the times.  

Any idea on how to make the refresh work? 

Thanks.

dc7669

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

FYI, the data refresh for my Power BI refresh was successful twice in a row now using OnPremise data connection to connect to the cloud database where the data resides.  

So, I guess On-Premise data connection is less prone to failure. 

dc7669

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
SaiTejaTalasila
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi,

Setup your gateway connection under gateway cluster which is closer to the db location.You can talk to your companies power bi tenant admin he will help you.

dc7669
Resolver I
Resolver I

FYI,

Since my data sources are all in the cloud, I definitely can use Cloud connection.

However, since I already set up the connection to these data sources on my on-premise connection, I switched them back to On-Premise connection.  

After that, one of the PowerBI reports that could not be refreshed can refresh! 

On another PowerBI Report that could be be refrehsed using Cloud connections, after switching to on-premise connection, its success rate improved to 50% from 0%.  

So, my results suggested that on-premise connection is probably "better" than cloud connection.

dc7669

FYI, the data refresh for my Power BI refresh was successful twice in a row now using OnPremise data connection to connect to the cloud database where the data resides.  

So, I guess On-Premise data connection is less prone to failure. 

dc7669

dc7669
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi @Anand24 @vanessafvg ,

This is the Refresh History.  

I set it up to run at 1am and 130am.  

Last successful scheduled run was 130am on May 14. 

On May 15, both 1am and 130am failed.  

I "on Demand" started it again at 355am and then at 922am and then 928am.  All failed. 

dc7669_0-1715819164558.png

May 14, 1am/130am failure.

dc7669_1-1715819306102.png

355am/ 922am / 928am failure.

dc7669_3-1715819382613.png

For updating from PowerBI Desktop, I think we can see those in  "One Drive" tab.  It was successful at 927am

dc7669_4-1715819479168.png

The Data for this report came from two cloud databases.

I have connections set up to reach them via Cloud AND OnPremise data gateway. 

At the beginning, I was using OnPremise data gateway.

Then, had occassional failure.  So, I thought may be using Cloud connection would help, and I changed.

Occassional failure continued.  

"Combined Permits" contains data from both databases. 

pro_FY2012_FR is a data table from one of the cloud database.  This Cloud database is a cloud Microsoft SQL database.  I am not too sure what the other cloud database is (Azure/Amazon or something else....).

Any ideas/suggestions on why the refresh keep failing and how to make them run successfully? 

Thanks.

dc7669 

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

can you share your failure message?  what is your data source?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anand24
Super User
Super User

@dc7669 ,
What are the failure messages you are receiving? Did it successfully refresh when refreshed from desktop?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors