Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Stevenkikomeko
Regular Visitor

Power Bi License Options

Hello, if I need to share my Power BI report/s openly to people outside my organization, what license would I require to achieve this. Thanks in advance for the feedback! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Shahfaisal
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

See below.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-share-dashboards

Share outside your organization

When you share with people outside your organization, they receive an email with a link to the shared report or dashboard. The recipient has to sign in to Power BI to see what you shared. If they don't have a Power BI Pro or Premium Per User (PPU) license, they can sign up for a license when they select the link.

After people sign in, they see the shared report or dashboard in its own browser window, not in the usual Power BI portal. External recipients should bookmark the link to get back to this report or dashboard later.

People outside your organization can't edit any content in the shared report or dashboard. They can interact with the charts and change filters or slicers, but changes aren't saved.

Only your direct recipients see the shared report or dashboard. For example, if you sent the email to Vicki@contoso.com, only Vicki sees the dashboard. No one else can see the dashboard, even if Vicki forwards them the link. Vicki must use the same email address to access it; if Vicki signs in with any other email address, Vicki won't have access to the dashboard.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Stevenkikomeko ,

When the Publish to Web option does not appear in Power BI Service, Please check if your report hits these Limitations, and check if the Publish to web option is closed in your Admin portal:

vyangliumsft_0-1657071799654.png

There is another way, you can use Planned Invites to invite users as guest users from the Azure portal, and assign them to the guest user pro permissions, so that users can see the reports you share.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-azure-ad-b2b#planned-invites

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guidance/whitepaper-azure-b2b-power-bi

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Shahfaisal
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

See below.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-share-dashboards

Share outside your organization

When you share with people outside your organization, they receive an email with a link to the shared report or dashboard. The recipient has to sign in to Power BI to see what you shared. If they don't have a Power BI Pro or Premium Per User (PPU) license, they can sign up for a license when they select the link.

After people sign in, they see the shared report or dashboard in its own browser window, not in the usual Power BI portal. External recipients should bookmark the link to get back to this report or dashboard later.

People outside your organization can't edit any content in the shared report or dashboard. They can interact with the charts and change filters or slicers, but changes aren't saved.

Only your direct recipients see the shared report or dashboard. For example, if you sent the email to Vicki@contoso.com, only Vicki sees the dashboard. No one else can see the dashboard, even if Vicki forwards them the link. Vicki must use the same email address to access it; if Vicki signs in with any other email address, Vicki won't have access to the dashboard.

Thanks so much, Shahfaisal. If I have a Powerbi Pro and Premium Per user account, Is there a way I can share the dashboard without requiring users outside my organization to log in or having to pay for a license to access my reports but just having open access to my published report (not in powerbi) once they click on the link?

Thank you!

Steven

@Stevenkikomeko wrote:

Thanks so much, Shahfaisal. If I have a Powerbi Pro and Premium Per user account, Is there a way I can share the dashboard without requiring users outside my organization to log in or having to pay for a license to access my reports but just having open access to my published report (not in powerbi) once they click on the link?

Yes, Power BI's Publish to web option allows you to do that. See the link as well as important note below. Other than that, there is no other way to share without having a license/subscription.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-publish-to-web

Note: When you use Publish to web, anyone on the Internet can view your published report or visual. Viewing requires no authentication. It includes viewing detail-level data that your reports aggregate. Before publishing a report, make sure it's okay for you to share the data and visualizations publicly. Don't publish confidential or proprietary information. If in doubt, check your organization's policies before publishing.

Stevenkikomeko_0-1656567473913.png

Hi Shahfaisal, these are the options I have under File. I seem to be missing the option of "Publishing to Web (Public)".

Thanks for your support and guidance.

Regards,

Steven

It looks like your administartor has disabled that option. I would consult with your admin.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors